Options

BU-15 keeper

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in Sports
been a busy summer and haven't been around a while, but soccer season is starting up again :D

my son wants to be a goal keeper, but for a variety of reasons, he often ends up in the field. But this last game, he played the whole game in the box and I managed to get some good shots of him that I thought I'd share.

It was an interesting game; final score 1-2 with all goals on penalty kicks :huh

1. getting some good air blocking the shot
651143760_DjBWm-L.jpg

2. for some reason (is it just me being 'mom'?), I really like the intensity he's projecting in this shot
651147029_yWVEd-L.jpg

3. not sure whether he or his team mate (in white) actually blocked the ball, but great action
651148002_p4rSp-L.jpg

4. great stop on the goal line. The opponents kept crying that it crossed the line (it has to completely cross to count), but he held it where he stopped it and got the save.
651149785_rXGVX-L.jpg

any c&c (or other comments) gladly accepted.

thanks for looking.

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited September 20, 2009
    You must be proud of your son! You got some great action in the third shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    You must be proud of your son! You got some great action in the third shot.

Thanks Ian, I appreciate the comment.

Yeah, I am proud of him. But he's got the right mental attitude to be a keeper - yeah, some one may score on him, but he keeps on going.

C.
    Colleen

• Options
    FogcityFogcity Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    I love your shots! I'm the mom of a soccer goalie myself, so I love it when you can catch the shot just at the right moment. no. 3 is especially great to me. Unfortunately, sometimes I get too distracted by the stress of him being in the goal and ball coming his way that I miss the shot! Seriously, it only happens with my own kid, but I do it all the time! But isn't it nice when your shot proves a play or goal was correct or not correct, it's like instant replay. Too bad they won't actually USE that to determine the call rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    3 is a very good shot. Last shot is great timing but focus is off - looks to be on the net. So, as a shot of your son it's a nice keepsake. As a sports shot, the missed focus kills it.

I like the timing of the first shot but the background is very distracting - much better job of isolation in shot 3.

On a shot like 2 - try to FRAME the shot tighter - torso only so you get details of the expression. You don't need the entire body for a shot like that and the tighter you can get on the face the better.

Keep at it - you're doing good!
  • Options
    Fogcity wrote:
    I love your shots! I'm the mom of a soccer goalie myself, so I love it when you can catch the shot just at the right moment. no. 3 is especially great to me. Unfortunately, sometimes I get too distracted by the stress of him being in the goal and ball coming his way that I miss the shot! Seriously, it only happens with my own kid, but I do it all the time! But isn't it nice when your shot proves a play or goal was correct or not correct, it's like instant replay. Too bad they won't actually USE that to determine the call rolleyes1.gif

thanks Fogcity. I know what you mean about getting stressed. And usually when you have a chance to get a lot of shots of your son as a keeper, it means the game isn't going as good as it should... But on that day, I specifically went out to get some shots of him as keeper and did manage to keep my focus (mentally at least mwink.gif )

C.
    Colleen

• Options
    johng wrote:
    3 is a very good shot. Last shot is great timing but focus is off - looks to be on the net. So, as a shot of your son it's a nice keepsake. As a sports shot, the missed focus kills it.

I like the timing of the first shot but the background is very distracting - much better job of isolation in shot 3.

On a shot like 2 - try to FRAME the shot tighter - torso only so you get details of the expression. You don't need the entire body for a shot like that and the tighter you can get on the face the better.

Keep at it - you're doing good!

John,

I appreciate your critiques; thank you.

You are right, the focus is off on the last, but it told such a good story that I included it any way - and I shouldn't have on a photo sharing site where you show off your good stuff. Thanks for putting my head back on straight mwink.gif

As for the rest, I grabbed the wrong lens that day - the 70-200 f/2.8 vs the 100-400 (since my intention was to focus on my son in goal). And while the 70-200 is faster (and I prefer the more blurred bkgd), it is not long enough to get good isolation of the keeper, especially when he's on the far post (relative to me). I believe #1 and #3 were taken at the same apperature, so it's surprising to me that there is that much difference in the bkgd. I must have been that much closer to the goal line on that shot... And I'll see how much room I have to play with cropping #2 to focus in on the expression.

thanks again for your critique

C.
    Colleen