The City Lies in Broken Pieces (Abandoned in IR)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited September 24, 2009 in Landscapes
"... where the wind howls and the vultures sing."

No words can describe how grateful I am to have not only had the opportunity to return to Europe, but to have such a wonderful time exploring some of the less-famous landmarks that the Old World has to offer.

Hidden deep in the forest, nestled between rolling fields and ever-changing sunspots lies this castle, a hollow shell. It is slowly returning to the earth and as we timidly crept between the walls and struts of its former glory, the wind shattered doors and pitched through the empty floors above.

688577677_SqMov-L-2.jpg

651152187_atmXR-XL.jpg

650911286_WVUhF-L.jpg

650973904_LmMPy-XL.jpg

650939730_ZscQR-L.jpg

650939772_2WDgH-XL.jpg

There is very little left of this beautiful chateau, and I am sad to see it go. But I am grateful that we had the opportunity to see her in her dying days, before the elements reclaim.

(Most of these are exterior shots with an IR-modded 30D and the rest are from my trusty 5DmII)

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Very interesting set Schmoo. The IR gives a surreal perspective to the scene. I particularly like #5. It looks like the castle is poking up through clouds.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Schmoo, these shots of the sad castle came out great! I like that you converted the interior shots to black and white. I don't even remember where the fourth one was taken, hehe.

Did you crop the last one? or is that the full image?
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    Very cool!!clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Thanks for looking, guys! The weather totally cooperated that day for IR. And also for video as the clouds moving and creating patterns on the treetops was just stunning.
    ivar wrote:
    Schmoo, these shots of the sad castle came out great! I like that you converted the interior shots to black and white. I don't even remember where the fourth one was taken, hehe.

Did you crop the last one? or is that the full image?

lol3.gif the fourth one was the hallway behind the main staircase I think, back a ways. So basically, #3 and then make a... uhhh... a right. I don't remember (I bet you would!) if we bothered to go there or if the floor/ceiling was totally caved in. All the debris starts to blur together after a certain point.

The last one is the full image, but I did trim a little off the sides because I had to straighten it. I must have taco head or something, as most of my handheld shots have a slight lean to them. rolleyes1.gif

Now let's see yours! :ivar
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Wow, that is so cool Schmoo. The IR treatment makes it look so surreal. Love the comp in the first one the best. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    What an awesome find! Great shots too.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    It's amazing to me there haven't been any preservation attempts for a castle as beautiful as this. I'm glad you were able to find and capture it for all of us to see. Great work on all of these.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    These are great Schmoo, and your poetic descriptions just add to the mystique and magic.clap.gifclap.gif
    dseidman wrote:
    It's amazing to me there haven't been any preservation attempts for a castle as beautiful as this. I'm glad you were able to find and capture it for all of us to see. Great work on all of these.

I know, right? From what I've found so far the owners are some rich folk who live in Luxembourg, so it's not really high on their list, I suppose. But really the conditions of this castle have gone past the point of no return. It would probably cost so much more to renovate than it would be to demolish the whole thing, which is a shame.

I guess in Europe they think about things a little differently... particularly in relatively rural areas like this!
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    650939772_2WDgH-XL.jpg

Looks like you were bitten by the IR bugwings.gif

Very interesting series of images and great use of IR.

This is exactly what my house looks like:D
    I have no idea how they get trees to grow out of the vertical side of a building when I can barely get tomatoes to grow in my gardeneek7.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    love that shot with the two saplings growing out of the tower roof... thumb.gif

who owns the place, anyway? seems to me such a colossal waste to let such a beautiful, historic structure just crumble and decay. lucky you, for getting to visit and photograph it before it's reduced to rubble...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited September 17, 2009
    lol3.gif Marc you're very modest and tomatoes will always grow in late summer at your local farmer's market. And anyway if you didn't have trees growing helter-skelter, where would all your owls sit?

Many thanks to that rascal Gluwater for loaning me his IR-modded 30D. I knew he'd be a good buddy to keep around. :D

Rocky, I think the owners are some people who live way out in another country. Can you imagine owning a castle and not really doing anything with it? What a life lol3.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    Interesting stuff. That shot from the roof looks like snow falls.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    Unbelievably beautiful series, Schmoo! I've never really dabbled in IR photography, but this series really makes me want to try my hand at it. Just WOW! clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    Cool stuff. I had to look up IR just to know what it meant. Very Cool. clap.gif It works so well with these trees.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    schmoolicioius!
    Tharhawk wrote:
    Cool stuff. I had to look up IR just to know what it meant. Very Cool. clap.gif It works so well with these trees.
    In short, IR = being able to shoot landscapes during midday hours lol3.gif

Thanks guys!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Images like these always spur thoughts of "what was". And Schmoo as usual you make a huge impact with your fine eye and talent.

it amazes me that no matter what we do we will die, and as important as these people thought they were, they are now gone, just a whisper....
    kinda mind numbing to think about....
    Aaron Nelson
    Images like these always spur thoughts of "what was". And Schmoo as usual you make a huge impact with your fine eye and talent.

it amazes me that no matter what we do we will die, and as important as these people thought they were, they are now gone, just a whisper....
    kinda mind numbing to think about....

Very much so! It's sad in a way, but I think it's a basic human instinct to also be fascinated. What never fails to leave an impact is how cold and quiet these buildings are, but they also have a very powerful "voice" in the wind, the creaking of fallen timbers, doors slamming and water dripping, etc.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Super photographs ! clap.gifclap.gif glad to see you taking photos mwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Wow what a great find, it is sad to see something that beautiful slowly die. Love your perspectives. Wonderful IR series, I've got to get one of those cameras.
    edited September 24, 2009
    Thanks Awais, it was good to get out and try shooting after so long!

And Doug it's worth playing with, definitely. Even if you don't get one of your own bodies converted, renting an IR camera for a weekend is a great way to find out if it's something you'll actually use. thumb.gif