big ol' pile of leaves

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in People
I had posted a picture similar to this one on another thread.. now I'm trying it out with my other son.. he's 2.. talk about hard haha. I got a darker sheet underneath and lots more leaves this time. The Big red leaf on left is a little distracting to me and the yellow leaf on his shirt as well.. what do you think? I'm going to be using this idea for preschool fall pictures in the begining of October.. so I'm practicing my bribing skills and making sure I have lots of lollipops:rofl
zacfall.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    I'm not so keen on the dark shadow alongside his head. A reflector to soften this up would keep the tone of the image more in line with the fresh, youthful theme you seem to be aiming for.

Otherwise, very cute (and impish) portrait of your boy!
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    Halite wrote:
    I'm not so keen on the dark shadow alongside his head. A reflector to soften this up would keep the tone of the image more in line with the fresh, youthful theme you seem to be aiming for.

Otherwise, very cute (and impish) portrait of your boy!
    how would i position the reflector? just so it casts light on that side?headscratch.gif
    Thanks for your comment!
    Courtney
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Was this shot taken inside or outside?

It's a very cute shot, but to me the red cast and looking at the light, it somehow looks off. I'd try taking the same shot outside, somewhere in the shade. I think the fall leaves will appreciate the natural light thumb.gif

Just my 2 cents, otherwise it's a cute shot thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    I love the idea but it appear noisy due to underexposure.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    how would i position the reflector? just so it casts light on that side?headscratch.gif
    Thanks for your comment!

Place it as close as you can on that side while still out of the frame. It needs to catch the light from the flash and bounce it into the dark area. The reflector can be as simple as white foam board or even a bed sheet.
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    Halite wrote:
    Place it as close as you can on that side while still out of the frame. It needs to catch the light from the flash and bounce it into the dark area. The reflector can be as simple as white foam board or even a bed sheet.
    thanks!
    I have an actual reflector however do you think it would work better if I up'ed the power on the lighting that is on that side? headscratch.gif
    Courtney
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Was this shot taken inside or outside?

It's a very cute shot, but to me the red cast and looking at the light, it somehow looks off. I'd try taking the same shot outside, somewhere in the shade. I think the fall leaves will appreciate the natural light thumb.gif

Just my 2 cents, otherwise it's a cute shot thumb.gif

Thanks I will def. try it and repost - just use natural lighting then?
    Courtney
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    I think this is better than the first one. The leaves are better, just need a little more light
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
    edited September 17, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    I think this is better than the first one. The leaves are better, just need a little more light
    thanks!:D
    Courtney
    thanks!
    I have an actual reflector however do you think it would work better if I up'ed the power on the lighting that is on that side? headscratch.gif

It looked like you were using a one light setup. So you should definitely up the lighting on that side if you are using a second light. But keep it soft (big, diffuse and close) so it doesn't cast conflicting shadows on your son's face.

In general, you should increase the lighting level of the shot, since it seems pretty dark. Since you're trying to capture the essence of him sprawled in a big pile of leaves, how about trying to simulate the kind of light you would see on a bright fall afternoon--i.e., stark, slanting low in the sky and glowing warm? So bare strobe at a relatively low angle with a warming gel over it. Maybe even put a branch with leaves between the main light source and your son to simulate the light dappling through tree branches as it shines down on him?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    thanks!:D

How about this?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed