What's your position on HDR?

neophyteneophyte Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited September 17, 2009 in Landscapes
643075985_5Lm4S-X3.jpg

HDR of one RAW photo converted to three 16 bit .tifs, from minutes after dawn at the cliffs at Watson's Bay near Sydney, Australia a couple of weeks ago. The sun had just risen out of the Pacific and was shining straight horizontally on the cliffs.

So much HDR photography pushes the effect too far, I'm liking setting the strength really low in Photomatix and teasing some subtlety out. Thoughts?

Here are http://www.earthphotos.com/Other/Australia-HDR/9590402_EKJEX a few more.

Neophyte
EarthPhotos.com

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    I generally do not care for HDR that is over the top. I guess it may have it's place in more of an artsy photo. I do like HDR a lot though when tastefully done as in your photo here Neophyte. I like using it to recreate scenes as my eye has seen them. I still have much to learn, but like I said, I do like HDR.
    I hope you don't mind me posting a photo of mine here. I just could not get this scene right until I tried HDR. I thought it worked well here. This was 3 different exposures, combined in Photomatix.

Ron

BTW, you have some really nice photos on your site!!

537203092_o8kqW-L.jpg
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    When HDR is done well, I love it. I love your shot clap.gifclap.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Just dropped in to say, that's a gorgeous shot thumb.gif
    Randy
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    dlplumer wrote:
    When HDR is done well, I love it. I love your shot clap.gifclap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Stephanie
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    That shot is excellent.

As per you question, I do not like overdone HDR, which seems all to common nowadays.

Reminds me of the over-the-top Topaz Adjust fad when it first came out.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    I do a lot of HDR and I generally try to keep it looking naturally, or perhaps pushed just a bit if I think the particular shot calls for it. Once in a while I will try a more extreme look, as ront says for a "more artsy" look. I have seen some very tastefully done HDR images that push the extreme (our member Jason St Peter comes to mind--I really like his work a lot), but I've also seen some that look more like cartoons than photographs. Like any art medium, there are viewers who love it and those who don't, and there are artists who do it well and those who don't.

You have done a very nice job on your shot. You brought out the tonal range and kept the detail but you didn't push it too far. Very nicely done, IMO!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    i look at HDR as just one more tool in my kit. i try not to use it too much, and when i do, i try to keep the result as natural looking as possible. it does have a place, and is very useful for salvaging images that have dynamic range or exposure issues, but it's not something i like to use all the time. and i do not particularly care for the tendency many seem to have to "overcook" images so that they look like something from a bad video game.

here's an example of how i like to use HDR. the first image is the raw file from the camera - too dark, with too little detail in the shadows. the second is the same image processed using Photomatix, and is much closer in terms of lighting and contrast to what i actually saw...

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0367tonemappedsm.jpg
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • neophyteneophyte Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    Red Leash Lauren, I love the way you've taken ordinary stuff and made notable photos from it in your HDR gallery. And the Model T is GORGEOUS.

Rocky, I think that's a good example of "keeping it real" with HDR. And it looks like most people in this thread agree not to push the effects too far.

I feel that way too, but to prove there are exceptions to everything - and please disagree if you like - these two are kind of TRYING to be cartoons, and they make me smile:

612594092_FxRNm-M.jpg

and

609723221_uncwf-M.jpg

Neo at <a href="http://www.earthphotos.com">EarthPhotos.com</a&gt;
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    neophyte -- Those two are terrific images! I think they show an excellent and appropriate use of HDR. I get the cartoonish look you responded to. thumb.gif

Lauren

P.S. Thanks for looking at my HDR gallery and thanks for the kind remark!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Love the last two "cartoons". clap.gif What technique did you use to get this look?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    dlplumer wrote:
    Love the last two "cartoons". clap.gif What technique did you use to get this look?
    I'll second that!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu