Sandstone

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are the rest of the shots I brought back from Page. Enjoy!

650211642_khEAk-XL-2.jpg

651674203_bsFzZ-XL.jpg

650211385_sJJkA-XL-2.jpg

650210938_xn853-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 16, 2009
    These are really, really nice. And I'm not just saying that. eek7.gif Great depth of color, and excellent comps.

I wish you'd leave your EXIF info intact though. You've got Info turned completely off on your site it seems.

-joel
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    Thanks for the comment, Joel!

I purposely turn the EXIF data off because I do a lot of exposure blending and the numbers could be a bit misleading. For the Antelope shots, I set my camera to AV with apertures ranging between f/10 and f/13, with their corresponding shutter speeds. I bracketed +/- one stop to ensure proper exposure and did necessary blending in post processing.

The shot of Horseshoe Bend is a simple, single exposure taken at f/10.

All of these photos were captured with a Canon 5D2 and 17-40L. I hope that helps!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    I always enjoy your photos Danny and these are no exception. They are very very nice!!!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Thanks for the info, Danny. It does help, but it's nice to know focal lengths as well to get an idea of scale. No, don't tell me, it's not that important. :D

I do enough blended exposures that I can usually recognize blends from the EXIF data, although I'm sure most people would be confused. You could always save the blended exposures without EXIF (save for web...), and leave the EXIF intact for simple images. But it's a personal choice. I will admit a bit of a selfish motivation to learn from photographers better than myself. bowdown.gif

BTW, did I mention how good these shots were? They're really, really good. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    More beautiful shots Danny thumb.gif

How are the slot canyons when your in them as to sand/dust for the camera?
    Randy
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    Man you are good! I will keep some of those comps in mind if I ever make it back there....
    Aaron Nelson
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    WOW!!

#3 and #4 are Superb! bowdown.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Danny, what can I say - the colors man, now I need to go and figure out how to get something close to this. Absolutely gorgeous (is that a valid photo term?). I learned from these shots it seems that the dark brings out the purples and the splash of brighter orange combination is perfect - thanks man.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wow my friend wonderful photographs as always
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    Beautiful stuff, Danny! No matter how many times I see images from this area, it never fails to take my breath away. These are even more beautiful than most. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    Really nice stuff. Colors are amazing.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    Superb! The 1st one looks like the profile of a beast being poked by a stick.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    ront wrote:
    I always enjoy your photos Danny and these are no exception. They are very very nice!!!!

Ron

Thank you very much, Ron!
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks for the info, Danny. It does help, but it's nice to know focal lengths as well to get an idea of scale. No, don't tell me, it's not that important. :D

I do enough blended exposures that I can usually recognize blends from the EXIF data, although I'm sure most people would be confused. You could always save the blended exposures without EXIF (save for web...), and leave the EXIF intact for simple images. But it's a personal choice. I will admit a bit of a selfish motivation to learn from photographers better than myself. bowdown.gif

BTW, did I mention how good these shots were? They're really, really good. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thank again!
    I'm lazy so I don't worry about save for web in only certain cases. I don't mind answering any questions that people have, though.
    rwells wrote:
    More beautiful shots Danny thumb.gif

How are the slot canyons when your in them as to sand/dust for the camera?

They are pretty bad. I had to wipe my lens down several times because I was getting lens flare from all the dust building up on the outer element. It seemed that a 24-70 or 24-105 lens was the best choice. I would not recommend changing lenses in there, as you'll get lots of dust inside your camera.
    Man you are good! I will keep some of those comps in mind if I ever make it back there....

Thanks, Aaron. Just don't make the mistake of bringing a wide angle lens like I did.
    anwmn1 wrote:
    WOW!!

#3 and #4 are Superb! bowdown.gif

Thank you. I noticed the light seemed to be best at Horseshoe Bend just a little before the sun came up. Those cliffs really get a nice glow.
    sgonen wrote:
    Danny, what can I say - the colors man, now I need to go and figure out how to get something close to this. Absolutely gorgeous (is that a valid photo term?). I learned from these shots it seems that the dark brings out the purples and the splash of brighter orange combination is perfect - thanks man.

Thanks but you shouldn't worry about getting something close to this. I thought your shots from Antelope were really good.
    Wow my friend wonderful photographs as always
    Thanks for the comment, Awais!
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful stuff, Danny! No matter how many times I see images from this area, it never fails to take my breath away. These are even more beautiful than most. clap.gifthumb.gif

Thank you, Mahesh. Have you been to Page before? If not, I suggest you head there immediately. I couldn't believe how much there was to photograph in that area.
    mntentman wrote:
    Really nice stuff. Colors are amazing.

Thanks. These places look just as cool in person as they do in photos.
    Cuong wrote:
    Superb! The 1st one looks like the profile of a beast being poked by a stick.

Cuong
    Thanks for the comment!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    I like all of them, but #2 is outstanding, great comp and colors. I didn't do many horizontal comps there and now I'm starting to regret it. If I sell a kidney I might be able to afford to shoot there again :D