Options

Image size in photoshop elements

jnrpotographyjnrpotography Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited September 18, 2009 in Finishing School
So I have an image that when I open it in elements 7, at 100 percent the size is 16x 10 at 240 dpi. I want to duplicate the image, then flip it, then line up the photos to make one. I don't want to overlap them at all - just merge them at their seam. So I opened a new doc. to place them on. When I did this I made the new doc. 30 x 10, then when I took the 2 images from the bin and dragged them onto the new doc they were not the full 30 inches so i needed to transform them an inch and a half each on the side. Is this okay that I did this? Why don't they fit? Shouldn't they fit without me transformimg them? What is a better may to merge photos together at the seam? Thanks.
View the finished product here. http://jnrphotography.smugmug.com/Art/Painting-with-Light/9635165_FU9zB#651712830_KJ4u9-L-LB

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    My guess is that when you created the new blank 30 X 10 canvas you set the ppi at maybe 300. Since the image files your bringing in are at 240 ppi they will be adjusted to 300 ppi and hence shrink them in physical size.

Make sure the new doc and the images you are bringing in are the same ppi and the size will remain constant.

Sam
  • Options
    Sam wrote:
    My guess is that when you created the new blank 30 X 10 canvas you set the ppi at maybe 300. Since the image files your bringing in are at 240 ppi they will be adjusted to 300 ppi and hence shrink them in physical size.

Make sure the new doc and the images you are bringing in are the same ppi and the size will remain constant.

Sam

Ahha! Sam you would be corerect. Thinkiing back - the new doc. was at 300. Ok so I should bring it in the same ppi as the images next time and they will fit.

Are you familiar with a fool proof way to "stich" the two images together at the seam?
  • Options
    Ahha! Sam you would be corerect. Thinkiing back - the new doc. was at 300. Ok so I should bring it in the same ppi as the images next time and they will fit.

Are you familiar with a fool proof way to "stich" the two images together at the seam?

I don't know if there is a full proof, or fool proof way to stitch, but I use CS4 and it has a stitch function that does a good job automatically.

When stitching images you must have overlapping image data. IE: Assuming a two image horizontal stitch, the left side of the second image must overlap the right side of the first image. If you just have two images without any overlapping area you will not be able to seamlessly stitch them together.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Sam
  • Options
    Sam wrote:
    I don't know if there is a full proof, or fool proof way to stitch, but I use CS4 and it has a stitch function that does a good job automatically.

When stitching images you must have overlapping image data. IE: Assuming a two image horizontal stitch, the left side of the second image must overlap the right side of the first image. If you just have two images without any overlapping area you will not be able to seamlessly stitch them together.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Sam

When you use the stich feature and u say to do so u need to overlap them abit. I am wondering if on the final product they are overlapped or just merged at the seam. I want no overlapping. Thanks
  • Options
    With two or more images taken correctly with sufficient overlap there will be no seam. Of course you need to pay attention to other things. For starters you should use a level tripod, and make sure your focus and exposure doesn't change.

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    With two or more images taken correctly with sufficient overlap there will be no seam. Of course you need to pay attention to other things. For starters you should use a level tripod, and make sure your focus and exposure doesn't change.

Sam

Well for this I am using a mirrior image to create some fine art so I don't want any overlapping. So If I just pull them together with the move tool, transform tool then if I view it at 100 percent and it looks good am I in the clear as far as a seam not being visable?
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2009
    AH! That clarifies what your trying to do. (I missed the link to your images in the first post :bash ) Since there isn't any overlapping image data I don't believe any automatic stitching program will work.

You will need to do this manually. I think it would be easier if you could use layers. That way you could blend the seam, rather than just line it up.

That said if you view it at 100, and can't see it you should be good.

When I am working with an image I plan to print large I will generally look at any potential problem areas, (like your seam), at 200%. If I can't see it then, I am confident it won't show in the print.

Sam