Cowboy Action Shooting

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I went to a "Cowboy Action Shooting" event last weekend. Participants fire vintage or vintage replica weapons and dress in period. The events are scored by time and accuracy. When the clock starts, the shooter draws and fires a revolver, then a rifle, and then a shotgun. The score is the time less a penalty for missed targets. Hitting the target is sufficient; no extra points for where in the target.

Like many sports and outdoor events, photography is a bit difficult because you can't pose the subject. Background distractions like trash cans can't be moved, and you shoot with the sun where it wants to be. A spectator has to be behind a certain line because that's live ammunition.

The guns in the gallery photos on the tabletops are as they were seen. Believe me, you don't go arranging someone's guns because you want a better composition!

This is just three shots. There are 31 others in my "Cowboy Action Shooting" gallery at my SmugMug site. Link and look, and comment if you like.

651842088_CUX8Z-L.jpg

651841771_jsuPm-L.jpg

651841681_ZTuiR-L.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Man, does that look familiar thumb.gif

Fun events to shoot for shure Tony.
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Nice images Tony. Tells the story well and its nice to read the background
    story too.

We have some shoots like this in our area also. But its practically invitation
    only. I've asked several times to attend. No go so far. Can't figure it.
    Maybe I need to tell em I can bring a camera and I know how to shoot the
    hell out of it. mwink.gif
    Michael
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Hi Tony........Great series....I really like the last one......thumb.gifazzaro