Beauty of a sharp lens, IS, and a full-frame sensor

JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited September 20, 2009 in People
I went to the Long Beach, CA, Latin Festival to test the Sony a900 (sensor IS and 24 mp) and the Sony 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens. All hand held.

The evening sun bounced off the downtown buildings, producing studio-like lighting for candid shots of the Ballet Folklorico Viva Panama, who were resting in the background after their performance. They were about 40 feet away. When I processed the photos, one dancer in the group stood out, and I had enough pixels to crop to her. These are not posed.

117228771.jpg

117333143.jpg

117333142.jpg

Comments

• goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    I like them! Glad to see a fellow sony shooter :D (cept I don't have the 900:cry )
    Courtney
  • soloshootersoloshooter Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    Shots
    Overall, great composition, but I think that all of the shots are lacking a sharpness that I would expect from a camera with half that resolution power. The shots seem soft, I am not sure if there was camera movement, overexposure, oof, but with a little tweak these are great story tellers.

Chris

www,chrisdenhamphotography.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    Excellent subject & great potential, but focus was on the wrong thing (IMNSHO):

#1: looks like camera was on auto focus and it homed in on the fine pattern on the top of the costume; even though she's not looking at the camera (i.e. candid), the eyes are still the centre of interest, and in #1 they're not in focus (A Bad Thing). Also I'd frame differently or crop to get rid of those nasty black bits in the bottom corners.

#2: focused on the pattern on the costume; but what's that weird shadowy thing on her throat, and it looks like she's sporting a 7 o'clock shadow… eek7.gif

#3: so what was supposed to be in focus here?

…apart from that, the lighting was pretty good as was the exposure…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    The a900 is a very impressive camera, but IMHO, these shots do not really do it justice. These pics seem soft and noisy to me and the last crop just looks bad. Sorry.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    I had the impression from the OP that these are some extreme crops. If not, then I agree that they are not that sharp and the focus isn't all that good. It would be interesting to see the original, uncropped version to get a sense of how impressive this really is.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Overall, great composition, but I think that all of the shots are lacking a sharpness that I would expect from a camera with half that resolution power. The shots seem soft, I am not sure if there was camera movement, overexposure, oof, but with a little tweak these are great story tellers.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    +2
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe