Mount McKinley

mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited September 18, 2009 in Landscapes
My son and I went camping in Denali National Park recently. I shoot a lot of sports, some wildlife, etc., but have never really done landscapes... but when in Rome...

We were fortunate that the mountain was relatively clear a good part of our trip. I took these early in the morning (obviously) and it did cloud over shortly after.

647693731_ZEqNp-M.jpg

647696213_aFEXA-M.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Very nice. It looks to me like you should possibly shoot more landscape. I would very much like to see larger pics of both of these, but especially the second one.
    As a bit of critique, I wonder how hard it would be to remove the taller tree in the second photo.
    Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    ront wrote:
    Very nice. It looks to me like you should possibly shoot more landscape. I would very much like to see larger pics of both of these, but especially the second one.
    As a bit of critique, I wonder how hard it would be to remove the taller tree in the second photo.
    Ron

Laughing.gif, Ron. My family debated endlessly whether the tree should stay or go. I guess the jury's still out!

So should I post larger versions here?

Thanks for your comments.
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    Wonderful shots. Alaska is EXTREMELY high on my list of places to visit. Both photos are just a tad darker than I would I prefer. Of both, #2 is my fave due to the lighting and more detail of the mountain. Overall, both were exposed fairly well. Looks like a great experience!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    Beautiful shots. If you hadn't said anything I would have been sure that you're a landscape photographer.

I'd prefer to see these displayed with at least 800 pixels on the long end but even at this size they're looking great.
  • philtographyphiltography Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    I spent 3 weeks in 2006 climbing Mt McKinley. It is an amazing part of the world.
    Here is an image from my trip:
    648920677_zdUKc-M.jpg
    Phillip Norman Photography
    http://www.phillipnorman.com
    I spent 3 weeks in 2006 climbing Mt McKinley. It is an amazing part of the world.
    Here is an image from my trip:
    I really admire you climbers. The high peaks fascinate me, but I am smart enough to realize it is beyond my capabilities. I don't think most people (including me) realize what an effort it really is.
    Here are the photos at a larger size...

647693731_ZEqNp-L.jpg

647696213_aFEXA-L.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wow these look like scenes from some dream !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    Gorgeous light and beautiful atmosphere! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    Now seeing them bigger, I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite. I would be very happy to have either one of them hanging on my wall! The light in just great!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    Beautiful shots! clap.gif

You've got me looking online as to how much it would cost me to put together a trip to Denali next year.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    Love the colors, great shots.
    greenpea wrote:
    Beautiful shots! clap.gif

You've got me looking online as to how much it would cost me to put together a trip to Denali next year.

Do you want to climb it, fly around it, or just see it from afar?
    edited September 18, 2009
    Do you want to climb it, fly around it, or just see it from afar?

All of the above :D

...although "see it from afar" would be the most that I can hope for within the next year.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    greenpea wrote:
    All of the above :D

...although "see it from afar" would be the most that I can hope for within the next year.
    Fly to Anchorage and rent a car, might be a good option. Tourist scenic flights go from Talkeetna, about 2 hours drive from Anchorage, then you can visit the National Park on your own schedule.
    See if they will do a low pass over Climbers Base Camp on the Kahiltna Glacier.
    Fly to Anchorage and rent a car, might be a good option. Tourist scenic flights go from Talkeetna, about 2 hours drive from Anchorage, then you can visit the National Park on your own schedule.
    See if they will do a low pass over Climbers Base Camp on the Kahiltna Glacier.

Thanks for the advice!
    Andrew

greenpea wrote:
    Thanks for the advice!
    It's a beauiful place the visit but it sure isn't cheap. Hotels in Anchorage (one night at beginning, another at end of trip) were 50% more than in lower 48. Gas was $3.15/gallon in Anchorage, and $3.85 by Denali. We rented a small SUV and that was expensive too. But we camped in the park for six nights and that is petty cheap, I think $22 a night. A lot of people we saw rent small RVs, not a bad way to go if you don't want to sleep on the ground.

But.. all well worth it.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    sgonen wrote:
    Love the colors, great shots.

++1thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Tree or no tree the second image is killer! Its very rare that you get to see Mt. Mckinley without it being shrouded in clouds.