wide angle lens for sports?

TGphotosTGphotos Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited August 9, 2012 in Cameras
Im currently looking for a good wide angle lens to shoot motocross. I already have a great telephoto and a few other misc. lenses, but I want to get creative with my shots and get a wide angle. Im looking around the $500-$600 range, if possible. I'm kinda leaning towards a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM right now, but if anyone has ideas of another lens or have used the Sigma 10-20mm, please help me out. Any info would be helpful. Thanks! ohh.. and it's for a Nikon D90.
Check out my site for more photos!

Todd Gutierrez Photo

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    It would help to know what system you are using.
    Steve

Website
  • TGphotosTGphotos Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    Sorry about that. Im currently shooting with a Nikon D90.

Todd Gutierrez Photo
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    The Nikkor 18-35mm is a nice choice.
    The Tamron 17-35mm is a nice choice.
    The Sigma 12-24mm is a very good choice
    The Nikkor 14-24mm is in a class by itself....

I have heard very good things about the Tamron 17-50mm and the Sigma 17-70mm.
    Steve

Website
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    TGphotos wrote:
    Im currently looking for a good wide angle lens to shoot motocross. I already have a great telephoto and a few other misc. lenses, but I want to get creative with my shots and get a wide angle. Im looking around the $500-$600 range, if possible. I'm kinda leaning towards a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM right now, but if anyone has ideas of another lens or have used the Sigma 10-20mm, please help me out. Any info would be helpful. Thanks! ohh.. and it's for a Nikon D90.

TGphotos, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Cygnus Studios is giving you good selections. Part of the answer is dependent on whether you can manual focus to an intended point in space and then take the image when the racers cross that position, or if you need to use autofocus. If you need autofocus, then you need a combination of camera and lens that can keep up with the action.

I have the Sigma 10-20mm, F4-5.6 EX DC HSM in Canon mount and I do like it, but I have not used it in an action sports situation. I suspect it would work well for you in that I have found AF to be fast and accurate. Mine has a slight decentering error, meaning that at wide open apertures one side of the frame is slightly sharper than the other, but it is not so bad that I have felt the need to return or replace the lens and it is working nicely at my normal aperture settings.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    TGphotos wrote:
    I can't imagine shooting MX with a lens that wide, unless you are talking about walk-around or pit shots. But for action? You'd be so close to the action it would be worrisome. I shot a lot with a 24-70/2.8L Canon, got nice wide-looking action shots, and was still a bit too close to be comfy at times.

I'd also shy away from third-party lenses and go Nikon. You're going to want a tough build, weather sealing, and the fastest AF motor possible.

Is this for fun or for profit?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • James HJames H Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    Sigma 12-24mm not a great choice...
    Well, putting safety aspects aside - As an owner of the Sigma 12-24mm and someone who has shot some motocross in the past, I would definitely not recommend this lens for shooting at dirt tracks. The lens has the nickname 'Popeye' because of the protruding front element and it's impossible to put a protective filter on it. Therefore you would be exposing the front element to all the nastiness of a motocross environment; dirt, dust, rocks, sand, etc.

I learned, the hard way, that even small rocks and dirt-clods can smash a UV filter from a pretty good distance, so I'd hate to see what a thrown rock from close range can do to an expensive front element. I also hate trying to keep the front element clean on this lens, just from normal dust, I can only imagine what a pain it would be to carefully clean it after every event where the dust is likely to be pretty abrasive.

That said, some of my favorite motocross shots were taken using a wide angle lens from really close and uncomfortable distances, but they all happened during very controlled practice sessions where the riders and I had complete confidence in the others ability to stick to a planned approach. There's no way I would try a lot of those shots with many riders fighting for position, but that's just me - I don't like pain. :wow
    --James

Homepage - James Hill Photography

Ziggy, I would probably have it on autofocus being that most of the time I take a photo, the camera will be away from my body and my eye won't be able to look through the view finder.

Well, for now its mostly for fun, but I have sold a few photos on my website, so the profit side of this hobby is starting to come in to play. The only area that I would use this lense for is mostly in tight corners and ruts. That way I can get an over-head shot and get the full bike in the photo. And I see where some of you are coming about getting hit or being to close, but I would only use this lens with people that I trust, like friends or any riders in the Intermediate and Pro classes who can stick to their line and aren't all over the place, like the Beg. class. I already get pretty close with one of my lenses so I'm used to it. I come from a racing background also, so I know where to take photos and not be in the riders way. Here's an example of what I would be using it for.

09AMPF21555.jpg

Todd Gutierrez Photo
    here's another example...

09AMPF21575.jpg

Todd Gutierrez Photo
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    I will toss out my choice for a wide angle sports lens since it doesn't seem to be in the mix so far. The Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Sharp, fast AF and the 2.8 is an advantage indoors or in lower light.
  • dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    I will toss out my choice for a wide angle sports lens since it doesn't seem to be in the mix so far. The Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Sharp, fast AF and the 2.8 is an advantage indoors or in lower light.
    seconded, built like a tank, ~$600, fast.
    Another option is the tokina 12-24 f/4, not as wide, but half the price, and since you're using it outdoors, the extra f/stop gets a meh.
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    dmeiselman wrote:
    seconded, built like a tank, ~$600, fast.
    Another option is the tokina 12-24 f/4, not as wide, but half the price, and since you're using it outdoors, the extra f/stop gets a meh.
    But, a 2.8 lens on many camera bodies will employ more sensitive AF sensors than a 4.0 lens will. Given the fast-pace of motocross that is a big deal after all. Plus there's a lot of night racing and the 2.8 will be better there as well.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2012
    mercphoto wrote: »
    But, a 2.8 lens on many camera bodies will employ more sensitive AF sensors than a 4.0 lens will. Given the fast-pace of motocross that is a big deal after all. Plus there's a lot of night racing and the 2.8 will be better there as well.

I know this is an old post but I think you sold me on a 24-70 2.8. Been thinking about choosing it for a while and from seeing this and some other posts about this lens you have posted i am going to give it a try. I think this lens would help me a great deal in shooting Tough Mudder type races even more then motocross.
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com