Meet the Mayors (C&C welcome)

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited September 18, 2009 in People
This year more than any I have been looking at my neighborhood with concern. So I have been more interested in local politics and wanting to hear what our fearless leaders want to do about it. So I went to a Meet the Mayors event at our local community center and I decided to bring the camera for practice. This was in an auditorium type place with pretty high ceilings and lots of crappy light. What amazes me every time is this crappy light seems very bright. But to the camera it is not at all. So this was really hard. A lot harder than I thought it would be.

Up on the stage while they were all seated answering questions the weapon of choice was the 80-200 2.8 and what seemed to work best was ISO1600. I tried the flash but those sucked. The color was weird and it was kind of blown out. And they all had red eye like like they were demons. Maybe they are?

Here are a few that worked well.

1. Almost perfect......if people could keep their eyes open!
652120917_SLsJ6-L.jpg

2. This guy was a character. I bet he would be the best guy for the job. But he was not playing the game right.
652097351_QY4mz-L.jpg

After the question session was over it was time for the meet and greet. I switched out to the 17-55 and put the flash back on. Straight on was not so hot. So even though the ceilings were about 15ft and angled I cranked the flash up and zoomed in all the way and bounced it off the ceiling. This was the way.

3. This guys face tells a story.
652097982_etTrY-L.jpg

4. Some cops having some fun. This was with a direct flash. OK on the guy in the center. But the girl he is talking to has some bad shadow action.
652097636_4d7WQ-L.jpg

Back to bouncing.
5. This lady has more posters than anyone. I figured I would hate her. But...She was tack sharp and a great public speaker. I figured she would be a shoe in. She wasn't. She lost the primary. The guy who won didn't even show up to this thing.
652098276_NyHUa-L.jpg

6. Making the most of 17mm.
652098671_kyD4Y-L.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Hi Zerodog,

Looks like you were in some tough conditions. I am never fond of shooting in settings like this, it just seems harder then everywhere else.

From this set, 2, 4, 5 are my favorites. In 1, I find the microphone(stand) very distracting. I think if you could clone that out, it would look a lot better. Even though 4 is a bit shadowy, I still like it. On 6, the woman on the left is just in a weird position look, and there is a bit too much empty space on top for me. The left guy on #2 looks a bit grumpy, but I like that shot. It's nicely framed, and it's obvious that the middle guy is engaged in something.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. It was tough conditions for sure. What is hard too is just taking pictures in general. To not be shy and just do it.