Virtual Tour Photographer

VivianneVivianne Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited September 17, 2009 in Cameras
Hi,

I have seen a few adds in my area looking for Virtual Tour Photographers.

I'm still some what of a noob and need someone to point me in the right direction and give me some feedback on equipment to invest in.

Will my current camera work? I have a Canon 40D.

The company listed the following equipment needed to be able to take virtual tours.

1. 6 MP or better Digital SLR Camera with AEB (Auto Exposure
Bracketing) feature.

2. Commercial grade tripod.

3. A Panohead to take virtual tours, such as a nodal ninja head. (will explain)

4. Lens: Camera's with Sensor Scaling a lens that is 10.5mm or less is mandatory.
Full Frame Camera's a lens of 15mm or less is mandatory.

Thanks

Viv
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 17, 2009
    Vivianne wrote:
    Hi,

I have seen a few adds in my area looking for Virtual Tour Photographers.

I'm still some what of a noob and need someone to point me in the right direction and give me some feedback on equipment to invest in.

Will my current camera work? I have a Canon 40D.

The company listed the following equipment needed to be able to take virtual tours.

1. 6 MP or better Digital SLR Camera with AEB (Auto Exposure
    Bracketing) feature.

2. Commercial grade tripod.

3. A Panohead to take virtual tours, such as a nodal ninja head. (will explain)

4. Lens: Camera's with Sensor Scaling a lens that is 10.5mm or less is mandatory.
    Full Frame Camera's a lens of 15mm or less is mandatory.

Thanks

Viv

Your current camera, the Canon 40D, easily meets the first requirement.

I suspect that if you check into this further you will find that the pay is ridiculously low and they will want you to cover a large territory with no gas compensation and a large shot list. In other words, they have high expectations but offer small rewards.

The panoramic real estate industry has a very high turnover rate because many people enter thinking, "How bad can it be?", but unless you are doing this for yourself and your own business, it's pretty bad.

I'm not saying not to do it, but do your research and find out exactly what they expect and what they offer for pay before signing anything. There are some good firms out there but many less worthy ones as well.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97674
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43713

If you investigate and decide you want to pursue this line of work, find out a little more about whether they will process the images or if they want you to process the images. (It sounds like they will be processing and publishing, but its good to confirm early on.)

Once you know "exactly" what they need in terms of deliverables, let us know and I can offer more definitive suggestions in terms of equipment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums