Family Portrait Help - Outdoor Lighting

Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited September 22, 2009 in Technique
I shot a family of 13 a couple of weeks ago. I suggested (more than once) that we do the shoot in the AM or early evening. They first agreed, but then ended up changing it to 11am. By the time they arrived, it was 11:30...sun directly above. There was no shade around and there was some major squinting in nearly every photo. They ended up selected a handful of photos and then asked if I could retake the pictures. I agreed and again suggested the times. The only time they can all get together is this Sunday at 7pm. I live in Northern KY, and the sun sets at 7:35 on that day.
My question is about lighting. With the sun down, what are some options? I have a Nikon D300 and an SB600 flash. There is no electricity available at the site. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    This sounds like a prime opportunity to get some shots against a sunset as a background. Exciting.

Face them away from the setting sun. Maybe rent a second flash. Have one some 45° off the camera - subject line as key and one on camera for fill. Gel both of them to better match the color of the setting sun (you'll need either an CTO or CTS gel of about 1/4 to 1/2 density).
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    I'm in FL, so beach shooting is a given.
    Everyone wants a sunset. I usually bring an umbrella or two with my flashes attached to them. I always meter for the skies to get correct exposure and use flashes as fill. You will get nice orange sunset on the background, and properly exposed people.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Thank you. Looks like I'm going to need to invest in some umbrellas. Thanks for the tips.
    If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?