Fun at Canyonlands

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 19, 2009 in Landscapes
Sunrise (near/at Mesa Arch) and sunset (near Grand View) at Canyonlands National Park. Danny and I arrived about 2-3 hours before dawn at Mesa Arch as we knew it would be front lit by the full moon, there was no one else there until just before sunrise when every photographer near Moab descended upon us. The light wasn't strong enough to really light up the bottom of the arch, but we found some other shots anyway.

Later that day at sunset we went to Grand View at the end of the Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands, the sunset wasn't spectacular but the views definitely were.

Very cool place!

Here are my favorite shots from the day:

#1:

652836991_zZBbt-XL.jpg

#2:

652833798_qVwTn-XL.jpg

#3:

652854931_yn4hw-XL.jpg

#4: Kind of a weird sky on this one, but that's what it looked like. This is more to give you an idea of the view, I might go back and try to fix this later.

652855919_2J7Jb-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Superb stuff Ron. I love them all bowdown.gif
  • dyuhasdyuhas Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    Great shots, but I'm partial to #2. Nice perspective.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    Thanks for the comments, I like #2 the best too.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Very cool, Ron! You're right - most of us only see shots of that arch during the sunrise but I like your take on it with the moving clouds. I never would have guessed that was pre-dawn if you hadn't said it, because only then did I see the stars. Awesome :D
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    I really like #4 because you caught some great light. great job!
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    Wow! bowdown.gif Awesome images Ron! I love #1 because the sky has that pre-dawn/post-night look where the stars and the blue are both visible.

You guys have a good trip. I'm jealous! :D
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    Awesome stuff. I really like that first long exposure shot. The view in last one, wow, I had forgotten how tremendous the view is from there.
    schmoo wrote:
    Very cool, Ron! You're right - most of us only see shots of that arch during the sunrise but I like your take on it with the moving clouds. I never would have guessed that was pre-dawn if you hadn't said it, because only then did I see the stars. Awesome :D

I took a bunch of different exposures before dawn, it's amazing how different they each were because of the clouds. Long exposures are fun that way, you never really know how they're going to look, plus it's not like there's much happening in Moab at 3AM anyway :D
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Wow! bowdown.gif Awesome images Ron! I love #1 because the sky has that pre-dawn/post-night look where the stars and the blue are both visible.

You guys have a good trip. I'm jealous! :D

Thanks! I used to show up right at dawn, now I usually show up an hour before that at least just in case. Like I mentioned we were lucky that we had the full moon illuminating the arch which allowed us to shorten the exposures quite a bit.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    It's amazing how different our shots are from there. The first two shots are my favorites from this series. Both are quite unique.