Has anyone had problems with Adorama?

jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in Cameras
I was wondering if anyone had a problem buying used equipment from Adorama. I am looking to buy a canon 1DS mark II from them. Any info would help.
Thank you Jovitta
BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
http://jeffovittphotography.com
Member; NANPA
Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 18, 2009
    jovitta wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone had a problem buying used equipment from Adorama. I am looking to buy a canon 1DS mark II from them. Any info would help.
    Thank you Jovitta

I have only bought 1 or 2 used items from Adorama, but many new items. I have never had any problems with them and, in the one case I had to send something back, they made it as painless and trouble free as possible.

Never buy used from anyone unless you are also willing to pay for return shipment charges and restocking fees (as appropriate). I don't know why, but many people forget to consider these things when they purchase and seem surprised or even outraged when they "discover" the fees later.

The Adorama return/cancellation policy is here (one of the best in the business):

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=FAQ#Our Return Policy

Also understand that Adorama, like B&H, observes Jewish holidays. I suggest consideration and patience during those periods, which Adorama is very good about posting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    +1 Adorama is great. I have bought a couple of used items and their descriptions of the items have been spot on.
    Steve

Website
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    I bought my D90 from them, and had no problems at all. I referred them to my friend who bought a K20d and she ended up with a canon 30d a few days later (that was supposed to go to florida, we're in st. louis?) AND her k20d which showed up right on time. Of course she's honest and called to send it back but they gave her a pretty hard time about it, which didn't make sense to me.

Other than that, I have heard nothing but raves about them, i'm sure it was an isolated incident.
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    lilmomma wrote:
    I bought my D90 from them, and had no problems at all. I referred them to my friend who bought a K20d and she ended up with a canon 30d a few days later (that was supposed to go to florida, we're in st. louis?) AND her k20d which showed up right on time. Of course she's honest and called to send it back but they gave her a pretty hard time about it, which didn't make sense to me.

Other than that, I have heard nothing but raves about them, i'm sure it was an isolated incident.

Love Adorama. Bought a used 2x Converter and refurbished 24-105 L from them. Great service, fast shipping and good customer service. I would expect to wait on hold for a few minutes if you call though (long enough that you notice, not long enough that you get pissed.)
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    Been an Adorama customer for many years, but only bought one piece of used equipment, actually a floor model. Canon 70-200, $200 off retail and it was in better than stated condition with everything included.

While I try to support my local brick and mortar, they do get most of my business.
  • Shell's PhotographyShell's Photography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Shell's Photography
    jovitta wrote:
    Thank you Jovitta

I've purchased several items through them and have never had problems. (My Canon D40, studio equipment, camera bags, etc.) I've shopped Amazon first and found that Adorama sells through them, too, but often times the shipping was cheaper to buy directly from Adorama. And I've also found if you call them up, instead of placing a web order, they will actually dicker with you. They're fast talking New Yorkers and I had them offer me free shipping if I bought my items right then. Hope that helps.:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    I've purchased several items through them and have never had problems. (My Canon D40, studio equipment, camera bags, etc.) I've shopped Amazon first and found that Adorama sells through them, too, but often times the shipping was cheaper to buy directly from Adorama. And I've also found if you call them up, instead of placing a web order, they will actually dicker with you. They're fast talking New Yorkers and I had them offer me free shipping if I bought my items right then. Hope that helps.:D

Shell's Photography, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    I bought a used lens that said it came with a hood. When it showed up, it had no hood. I made a quick call and they said the hood was out of stock, but B&H had it in stock, so Adorama had me order the hood from B&H and reimbursed me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them new or used. They are awesome.
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Shane422 wrote:
    I bought a used lens that said it came with a hood. When it showed up, it had no hood. I made a quick call and they said the hood was out of stock, but B&H had it in stock, so Adorama had me order the hood from B&H and reimbursed me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them new or used. They are awesome.
    Holy crow I've never heard of a company doing that! They've supported my local astronomy club several times over the years too, I forgot to mention that earlier.
  • jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    thank you
    Thank you for yuor comments I believe Iam going with purchase.
    Thank you
    Jovitta
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    Good move - you will be glad you did. They are my primary source for gear.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    I've bought all my memory cards from them since they tend to have really good prices and it has been a great transaction. No experience buying lenses or camera bodies from them though.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Never anything "used", but I have bought several refurbished items, including my 5D II. They are for all intents and purposes new, and usually a couple hundred dollars off retail. The only problem I have had with Adorama lately is their shipping. Their shipping costs, especially rush type orders are twice B&H and Amazon and sometimes it will be a day or two until your order ships, despite their site telling you that orders placed before 5pm are shipped same day. I did order a lens recently I had to have for the weekend and ordered well within that window on thursday for next day air to arrive friday. It did not ship until monday. I sent them an email and the only response I got was "we did not get your order until late Friday." I thought maybe they would refund part of the $50 next day shipping costs as a courtesy, but they didn't.
  • rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    I have made at least twenty orders with them, and have had no complaints. I will be a life long customer.
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

• TOSUTOSU Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    A little late but here is my Experience.

I have purchased a Canon 1D MarkIII from Adroama and A G-10 both used.

I have had nothing but great luck with them and always recommedn them to folks looking for good used equipment.

However when selling equipment to them I had a very poor experience. THe claim of 70% of market value was not true and actually they offered me less than Half the market value. I had to escalate to a MGR after doing researchas to what they were selling my equipment for and then 5 days later it was agreed to the 70%. Not easy and definitley time consuming.

So in the end. Great to buy from!!!!
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    TOSU wrote:
    A little late but here is my Experience.

I have had nothing but great luck with them and always recommedn them to folks looking for good used equipment.

However when selling equipment to them I had a very poor experience. THe claim of 70% of market value was not true and actually they offered me less than Half the market value. I had to escalate to a MGR after doing researchas to what they were selling my equipment for and then 5 days later it was agreed to the 70%. Not easy and definitley time consuming.

I have never heard of Adorama until I saw this thread. I have usually bought my lenses from B & H but the Canon 24-105 is out of stock so I will probably just buy it from Adorama as the aforementioned posts really do credit this firm.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Slightly off-topic, but here's my short list for equipment stores. The "lifetime" ratings (from Reseller Ratings) are current (as of 29 Sep 2009)
    Back OT - I've had zero problems with the above listed stores. In fact, both 17 Street and Adorama have gone out of their way to make sure I was a happy camper on more than one occasion (it's sometimes amazing the amount of trouble I can get into with a credit card and a keyboard :D).
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    chrismoore wrote:
    Never anything "used", but I have bought several refurbished items, including my 5D II. They are for all intents and purposes new, and usually a couple hundred dollars off retail. The only problem I have had with Adorama lately is their shipping. Their shipping costs, especially rush type orders are twice B&H
    We aim to be competitive, and will price match to reputable photographic retailers.
    chrismoore wrote:
    ...sometimes it will be a day or two until your order ships, despite their site telling you that orders placed before 5pm are shipped same day.

The only thing that should prevent an order from going out same day, would be if it needed to go to the verification department, if, for example, the delivery address didn't match the card holder's address
    chrismoore wrote:
    I did order a lens recently I had to have for the weekend and ordered well within that window on thursday for next day air to arrive friday. It did not ship until monday. I sent them an email and the only response I got was "we did not get your order until late Friday." I thought maybe they would refund part of the $50 next day shipping costs as a courtesy, but they didn't.

I'd firstly like to apologize; this should not have happened. Please contact me directly with your order number and I will give this my immediate attention
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    TOSU wrote:

However when selling equipment to them I had a very poor experience. THe claim of 70% of market value was not true and actually they offered me less than Half the market value.

My apologies. If you ever experience any kind of problem with a purchase from Adorama in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    The above two messages are why Adorama rocks so hard :) I go to them before B&H for just about anything I don't pick up locally. clap.gif
    //Leah