Where to start?

qxzloolqxzlool Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 19, 2009 in Cameras
I just got a Nikon D3000 for my birthday:clap -my first SLR (sort of). I've been puttering around for several years, but would like to get more serious about photography now that I have this great tool.

I've thought about trying a class at a local community college, and I know Nikon has their own school of some sort. Any other suggestions? (this place isn't like JM is it? 'Cause that's not the kind of suggestion I was after...:rofl )

Thanks!

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    I recommend good lenses, lots of practice at taking and processing images, and book study, both practical/instructional and the history of photography from Talbot and Daguerre up to the present. There are also lots of good tutorials online addressing basic theoretical and practical issues.

Classes can be good or not, depending on the instructor. At the very least a halfway-competent instructor should be able to help you to develop basic familiarity with your tools.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    I recommend you go out and shoot. Take images of things that interest you and play with different settings to get an understanding of the effect they have on what's captured.

Then come back to your computer and choose your three best. Work with them in Lightroom or Picasa or whatever you intend to use for post-processing. Make them as good as you can.

Then go post them in the forum, explain that you're just learning and wanting to get better, and ask for advice. You'll get feedback on composition (how did you frame the shot), exposure (light levels), and other important factors.

You learn photography by trying. There's a ton of information out there - some of it is very important and some of it won't help you a bit. You'll never know which is which until you start shooting and find out where your limitations are.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    photography class is a good start. So is photoshop class. I learned a hell of a lot and developed at least conventional eye for good/bad by reading these forums, critiquing photos, and posting photos for feedback as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    Depends on what your goal are. Professional, part time pro, family shots, travel shots?

If you're just taking photos for yourself (family, travel etc...) I would just go out and practice. It's free after all.

Photoshop classes may or may not help. A good book IMO is more useful because you'll have it on hand to reference.

I would start with Photoshop Elements and some type of data manager.

Gene
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    I recommend some not-too-heavy reading, such as Scott Kelby's books, just to alert you to some basic issues. Then I would practice, practice, practice. Not just taking shots, but trying things out. E.g., shoot something with a variety of apertures, and see how that affects the image. Do that with something close up, then with something far away. Play with ISO to see how much noise you get and when it is bothersome. Experiment with 'exposing to the left' (lots in the shadows) and to the right to see how it differs. Plan on discarding most of what you take.

It's a matter of style, but I find I learn a lot more if I save the detailed reading until I am confronting a specific task or problem.
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    paddler4 wrote:
    I recommend some not-too-heavy reading, such as Scott Kelby's books, just to alert you to some basic issues. Then I would practice, practice, practice. Not just taking shots, but trying things out. E.g., shoot something with a variety of apertures, and see how that affects the image. Do that with something close up, then with something far away. Play with ISO to see how much noise you get and when it is bothersome. Experiment with 'exposing to the left' (lots in the shadows) and to the right to see how it differs. Plan on discarding most of what you take.

It's a matter of style, but I find I learn a lot more if I save the detailed reading until I am confronting a specific task or problem.

I have a d90, 30d and 50d and own the Magic Lantern DVD for each. Invaluable! Also, Magic Lantern has a nice DVD on DSLR Photography. Nikon's Lighting DVD is awsome! The 1st Volume of the Blue Crane Digital Through the Eyes of a Pro, I wouldn't bother with the second volume.

Shoot alot and find smart people to hang out with. Go find a photography club and shoot whenever you can!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Shoot as much as you can, and look at as many pictures as you can. It takes time and as you take thousands of shots you realize what you are doing wrong. Even then it still takes a great eye to approach a situation and make it special with your camera. It's a life long lesson we are all trying to learn.