Northern Utah

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited September 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Was reprocessing some photos I took last February outside Salt Lake City... this one caught my eye more than it did the first go-round so thought I'd share. Critiques always welcome.

653539602_JZKmh-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Gorgeous. I love it clap.gif Beautiful exposure and soft tones.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    I think it sucks!!:D

Sorry, just kidding you. I think that it is a beautiful winter scene!!!! I just hate the thought of snow again.

I hope you don't mind my playing with you.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Beautiful scene. I looks like it has so much depth.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    This is just surreal, how perfect it is! Was there a storm coming in on the right? Regardless, the low light coming in at that angle and the snow and the mountains... just amazing :ivar
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    Beautiful and no 'blue' snow! :) It cools me down in this triple digit temps we are having!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    That's very cool, I'm loving those trees. A very peaceful scene.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    This is beautiful, love the trees - I always struggle with snow, I wonder what pointers you have for shooting snow.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Beautiful winter scene. Seeing this is a bit of a change from all the summer photos that have been on here recently.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Thanks for all the nice comments. It is still hard to remember what that cold felt like, with summer just lingering on here. I'm afraid I wouldn't be the best one to give advice on shooting snow, I live in Florida :D I do think you have to set your EV up one or two stops.

This shot is one of several to took in that area. My wife and I went on a ski vacation in Park City with some friends last February. I was allowed one full day of photography mwink.gif So I had my locations mapped out, got up early and got some Park City shots at sunrise and then ventured out towards Salt Lake. I stopped at Heber Valley Railroad for a little while and on the way out made a wrong turn somewhere but found myself on a county road lined with plots of private property. The light was gorgeous, the snow still on the trees from last night, and no footprints in the snow yet. I must have fired off about 1000 frames in the hour or two before the light changed. I had just gotten a polarizing filter, which I used, and in retrosopect don't know if that was a good idea or not with the snow. But the light was so nice the scenes were very easy to expose properly without having to make any special concessions for the snow.

Thanks for looking!