Can't figure out what's wrong (Nikon D300)

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited September 19, 2009 in Technique
Not sure if this is the right place for my post, please move it if so.

I was shooting outdoor festival today, i had my flash on a bracket with pocket wizard on the hot shoe of my camera, i shoot exclusively in manual mode. After couple of hours of shooting, i've noticed that shutter speed started to change all on its own with every shot i took. It would go up to 4000 then with next shot it would go down to 8 in sequence, then go back up. I disconnected everything, checked all the setting within the menu, put new camera battery in, put everything back together, same thing, shutter keeps going up or down. :scratch Changed lenses, didn't help, turned flash off, didn't help, took flash and PW off, didn't work. I reset all the settings in both banks of the camera, nothing helped. :cry

I'm at lost as to what is happening here. Has anyone ever seen this before, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks for any help!
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    I've never experienced anything like this. Have you checked the Nikon support sites? If it's truly random and bizarre like that, it could be something goofy like a firmware bug -- which leads me to another idea. Have you tried reburning the firmware?

Just a thought.
    Tom
    Tom Parker
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 19, 2009
    Marina, you said you always shoot in Manual mode. Are you certain the camera was not in Av mode? That could explain the variation in shutter speed. You might check the exif on some of your images to be certain.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Thanks guys, i went online and found out what the problem was. Apparently it has something to do with bracketing headscratch.gif Somewhere, somehow i pressed something and it started to mess up. So i checked and sure thing. It is all fixed now. So if something weird like this happens, you'll know why.
    Thanks for your responses!! :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8