I get Some Satisfaction

pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited September 20, 2009 in Holy Macro
... listening to the Stones today so the tile seemed appropriate after my last post on trying to photograph these guys:

After three consecutive days and six visits (about 15 minutes each) of trying, I finally got a few shots that I'm pretty happy with of some shield bugs on a pretty vine in a neighborhood garden. Why so many tries? Well a few reason...

(1) these guys don't seem to like being photographed. Once I was spotted, they would start circling under and over the leaves and pods. And then if I was still around they would just as quickly drop into the very tall grass and disappear.

(2) the last few days have been windy and the plant they were on was moving quite a bit, which made it very hard to shoot macro.

(3) I'm just not that great of a photographer and fairly rusty it seems as on a couple of attempts I made some really rookie mistakes. DOF too shallow, exposure, etc, etc

What was really cool about these outings was that I just observed these guys and learned a ton. I actually came to some interesting theories about their life cycle and nymph stages -- much of which was sort of correct but wrong as well. Then after a day of looking I would do a a little Wikipedia/Google research and learn much. I highly recommend this sequence rather than research first then watching - much more fun the way I did it, discovery and all.

You can see much larger versions of these on my photo journal <b><a href="http://www.modernstills.com/Other/outloud/7397959_hzz7y/1/652015540_j3QN">Here</a></b&gt;

A few of the mid instar nymphs (my favorite amazing colors and textures but no wings):

(hiding under a leaf -- they liked greeting them me like this, and if they didn't drop into the grass almost immediately, they would eventually warm up to my presence)

653956695_dd92H-XL.jpg

653956681_uELFu-XL.jpg

(crop of the mouth parts which make this a true bug - amazing engineering on this - and not sure I would have ever understood how they worked without seeing it)

653956666_VzVN8-XL.jpg

653956656_9LK8Q-XL.jpg

An adult showing off his wings (these guys had much more drab coloring, but hell if you can fly...)

653956646_9z3qv-XL.jpg

(and finally what I think is an intermediate stage between the above - drabber color but no wings - of course I could be completely wrong)

653039038_rXjXU-XL.jpg

***** Beware, I really know very little about insects in general and specially about these bugs. Take everything I say here with a grain of salt and then add a spoonful of it. I'm sure that most of what I say is not fit for a 6th grade class report. Kids you have been warned! :)

Comments

• paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Beautiful shots. I particularly like #1 and the crop in #3. Can you share some technical info--lens, tubes, lighting?
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    very nice, good shots and compositions.
    pity the whites are blown in #2/3 maybe need a bit more diffusion & - fec
    phil
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    Cool shots! I like #4 and 5 the best.

And you are absolutely right about it being fun to find out more about the insect you get in front of your lens. I have bought a whole load of books on the subject (insects and natural history in general) which I pick up to read again and again.

I never understood that large group of macro photographers who don't have a first clue about the insects they shoot nor are willing to learn more. You might as well shoot coins then.eek7.gif

But that's just my two cents..
  • pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    Oops, forgot where I was posting to... I should have added some specs :

All shot with my Canon 60mm EF-S between 1:1 (actually 1:0.9) and ~ 1:3 @ f6.3 to f13. Hand-held on an XSi body and using the built in flash. Second photo (and crop) are from four focus stacked photos - by hand using PS.

paddler4 wrote:
    Beautiful shots. I particularly like #1 and the crop in #3. Can you share some technical info--lens, tubes, lighting?
  • pyanezpyanez Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    Phil, blown whites... yes it is a pity. Such are the hazards of shooting like a caveman :-) Should have checked the histograms more carefully as I was shooting but it was tricky the white bands on the legs were AMAZINGLY white. Since I was a bit more worried about capturing the deep colors in the shadows I must have overlooked the white.
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    very nice, good shots and compositions.
    pity the whites are blown in #2/3 maybe need a bit more diffusion & - fec
    phil
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    LOvely series of shots.
    Not certain but suspect the last shot is one that has just shed it's skin - they can take a while to colour up after the new skin has dried.
    Coming to the conclusion you must be a Rolling Stones fan ?
    Brian v.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Really nice stuff. A little more DOF might have been nice on the second one, but I know how hard it is to get DOF to be more than a small fraction of an inch at macro distances. Thanks for your observations about the bugs too; very interesting.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.