• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 19, 2009
    that was quick ! welcome clap.gif

good shot, focus looks good.
    think your sensor needs cleaning rolleyes1.gif

phil
  • dinanm3atldinanm3atl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    Yes it does. I think I confused you Phil, with Brian who I was also flickr mailing with... my apologies!

I guess it does. I seriously have NEVER noticed it until I am now shooting some macro. I am overly anal about lens changes and such and somehow it is FILTHY :(

I don't know how to clean and don't really feel comfortable doing it either.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    dinanm3atl wrote:
    I guess it does. I seriously have NEVER noticed it until I am now shooting some macro. I am overly anal about lens changes and such and somehow it is FILTHY :(

I don't know how to clean and don't really feel comfortable doing it either.

yes higher magnification does show every little blob! get used to cloning tool rolleyes1.gif
    i use an "arctic butterfly" for cleaning sensor, usually once a month
    dead easy, takes about 3 mins
    phil
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    Nice picture. I like how the color and leafy texture of the bug relates to the surface it's on. You've got DOF just about perfect, too. I see a little bit of blur toward the bottom of the bug's tail end, but not enough to be bothersome, and the tail end is the right place for it.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Wonderful leaf hopper/plant hopper shots - esp like the composition of #2

Thought my memory had finally gone kaput for a min with the invite :)
    Brian V.
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    yes higher magnification does show every little blob! get used to cloning tool rolleyes1.gif
    i use an "arctic butterfly" for cleaning sensor, usually once a month
    dead easy, takes about 3 mins
    phil

Any links and further explanation on this arctic butterfly you speak of?
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    Cyberstreak,

I'd also look at your front element or filter. I'll bet some of these splotches are just debris on it.

A few weeks ago, I finally started using tubes and shooting up to about 2:1. Suddenly, I had a lot of little splotches like the ones on your images, which I had never had before. While I was procrastinating cleaning the sensor, I noticed that they did not stay in the same place from shot to shot!

Yesterday, I had a bunch when I shot a carpenter bee @ 2:1. On a hunch, I quickly blew and brushed off the filter I usually keep on the front of my macro lens and took some test shots of a blank surface. I also shot without the filter. I shot with a regular lens, and also with my macro at 2:1. Most of the blotches had disappeared.

For decades, I had not paid much attention to minor amounts of debris on the front because in most kinds of photography, it simply does not show up. I think what is happening here is that at this magnification, the focal plane is very close to the front element, so the debris matters.

Others with more experience with macro can weigh in and correct me if my reasoning is wrong. But it is easy enough to clean the front and see whether it matters.

Dan
  • dinanm3atldinanm3atl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    I think I also need to really 'clean' my lens elements but I don't really know the proper way. Use a microfiber cloth and rocket blower for the most part.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    dinanm3atl wrote:
    I think I also need to really 'clean' my lens elements but I don't really know the proper way. Use a microfiber cloth and rocket blower for the most part.

I try to minimize the risk that anything will gouge or smear. I start with a rocket blower, and then move to a brush if necessary. (I keep the brush in plastic so that I don't get finger grease on the bristles.) That almost always is sufficient. If you have to do more than that, at least you will have removed much of the grit that might cause damage.