Black Lab Head Shot

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited September 20, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Haven't posted in a few days so I quickly processed an old shot to see what ya'll think. This is from an adoption event last fall. I volunteer with a local animal rescue group and did some shooting at the event. Most are good snapshots to capture the activity at the event, but I liked this shot. Have some others of this same foster mom holding 2 pups--maybe I'll post it later.

Big event next Sat and I plan to be there to shoot and, more importantly, help find homes for a few canines.

Enjoy!
Lauren

654906781_BEnpY-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Don't you ever sleep?

Lauren,

That's great that you help out such a noble cause. thumb.gif

There's a lot of "take me home" in that image, but personally, I'd like to have seen the eyes in focus/too. Windows to the soul type of thing...
    Randy
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    redleash wrote:
    Haven't posted in a few days so I quickly processed an old shot to see what ya'll think. This is from an adoption event last fall. I volunteer with a local animal rescue group and did some shooting at the event. Most are good snapshots to capture the activity at the event, but I liked this shot. Have some others of this same foster mom holding 2 pups--maybe I'll post it later.

Nice shot, Lauren. Getting detail like this in a photo of a black dog isn't easy and you've nailed it. (And who could resist those puppy-dog eyes?)

Jerry
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Hi Lauren,

Unless you have a very specific reason to not do so, and I don't think that's the case here, you should always have the eyes of the subject in good focus. It's one of the " rules " of photography ( we all know, of course, that rules can and should be broken sometimes ) that should be followed in most cases. I do think its a nice picture that, however, would have benefited from employing the rule.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Randy - I seem to always be awake in the wee hours, so why not be on DGrin? And as for you, why were you awake then? Probably gettin' ready to head out for some fantastic early morning shots!

Jerry - Thanks for the nice comment. If I could, I'd bring more home . . . but I'm at my limit now w/ 2 dogs and 3 cats!

Tom - You are right about the eyes, of course. This was a year ago and I'd like to think I've improved since then so hope I'll get better shots at this next event. I know for sure this would have been better with focus on the eyes. I was just hoping to make something out of a so-so shot by some extra PS work. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers-
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    Hi Lauren......Nice capture.... with a face like that I would think he would get a lot of attention :D........ azzaro
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    What a sweetie -- I hope it went to a good loving home.

I pat you on the back for doing the work you do with the rescue thumb.gif I
    couldn't do it....I'd come home with all the dogs or cry because I had to leave some behind.