Question Regarding CANVAS

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited September 21, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi!
I let my site go 'live' on Monday, and have had about 5000 hits according to the tools section!

There are a few people asking questions, no sales yet, but that's ok....

One person is very interested in purchasing stretched Canvas orders.

Until she asked, I had not chosen that as a printing option because of my day job.

By day, I work as a custom picture framer. And at least 3 or 4 times a week people bring me un-stretched or stretched canvas photos, mostly purchased as part of a cruise photo shoot (GAG:rolleyes) Anyway, whether from there, or because they were up-sold at a photo studio, they bring this thing to me, and then they proceed to tell me how the photog said NOT to stretch, or NOT to put glass on it...

We have stretched them, with varying degrees of success....When we put (UV coated) glass on them, we use spacers, so the ink isn't touching...

Where my problems lie are.....breath on them heavy, touch them with slightly sweaty thumbs, and the ink starts to lift... accidentally run the edge of a piece of paper over it, and you see a scratch...

they are, to my mind, incredibly unstable, and I think often they are being given a hard sell for an inferior product....

That said, someone wants to buy them from me!:thumb

So....what can people who have seen them first hand tell me about them?
How stable and light sensitive are the inks used? Are there coatings OVER the ink? What I tend to see is a piece of canvas, with an acrylic gesso type layer and ink jet sprayed on top of that...

It makes me nervous to take them from customers to frame, but I don't want my photography customers to have similar issues...

Currently I have EZ print selected. Would it be wiser to have orders for canvas printed through Bay? I feel personally prestretched is a better deal financially, and also it will be less 'handled'....

appreciating all responses/ good bad and indifferent, so I can make a decision!
Thanks

Trish

Comments

• HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    I have purchased 1 canvas print through EZ Prints and I've had a friend purchase 1. They both turned out quite nice. I have no concerns about them whatsoever.

I haven't seen any of the issues you've described.
  • justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Canvas
    My experience has only been with the mounted canvas (already stretched onto boards and ready to hang on the wall)...I couldn't be happier with the quality.

We have actually decided, that if we like a print well enough to hang it on the wall, from now on it will be a mounted canvas. They just look so nice..

One of mine has been on the wall over 2 years, without any fading, or problems whatsoever..
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com