A trip back in time....

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 21, 2009 in People
C&C always welcomed.

The year I was 12, shortly after moving to LA from the UK, we attended the Renaissance Faire in Chatsworth, CA. My mom went all out with costumes, making them for everybody (including my best friend and her brother, who joined us as well). I have very fond memories of the event!

1 Me, age 12 (suffice to say.. PRE-digital!! :rofl)

655875899_MMXvv-S.jpg

Imagine my delight when this year, the gal for whom I shot these pictures gave us a set of passes to the local Renaissance Faire as a thank you.

My mom still had the costumes, and was happy for us to recycle them for another outing.

655855938_msozg-L.jpg

I can't decide if it was deeply moving or rather unsettling to see "Mini-me" in my dress!

In any case, we had a wonderful day out today. The weather was about as perfect as one could ask (high 60's, sunny and dry), and the event turned out to be far more elaborate than the California one I remember... and every bit as much fun!

We saw a glassblower

655854645_P5iX7-L.jpg

A sword swallower

655854835_FEkyW-L.jpg

An arielist

655854387_xRPwb-L.jpg

655854001_QcaKV-L.jpg

And all of the vendors were interesting and fun to watch

7 a/b
655855009_khYKW-S.jpg655855537_sPBAP-S.jpg

655853558_6qBu8-L.jpg

The best part was seeing Lil' Diva morph from polite acceptance that we were going to go to this event to being absolutely ENCHANTED by the entire experience. "It was so much better than I expected - can we come back???!!". All in all, a tremendously satisfying family day out with LOADS of opportunity to take some fun pictures, too :D

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Great shots! Wow, that last one is magical. We took our soon to be thirteen year old to her first ren fest last fall for her birthday.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Wowie, she really looks a lot like you at that age.

How fun to be able to duplicate your own childhood experience so exactly!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Great backstory, and wonderful grabs. That last one is very wonderful.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Hi Divamum,
    Great set--starting with your old photo and now the new version.

My favorite shot is of the glass blower #3--awesome colors--but the best part for me is his earpiece from his cellphonerolleyes1.gif , just cracks me up.

#8 is a close second for me--beautiful shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Mini you indeed!! What fun. The last shoot is captivating, I couldn't stop looking at it!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    How neat that your mom still had the costume for your daughter to wear! Maybe you started a new tradition!

neat shots, the last is my favorite!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Thanks all! (@Lizzard, yes that cracked me up too :D) I have some more to post if I ever get them processed.... life is suddenly extremely busy, which is cutting into my dgrin/camera-obsessing-time. Harumph ;)