DSS #33 Unofficial Feedback Thread - Movement

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is the official gallery to give your C&C for DSS#33

Gallery found here....

Once more into the fray. This unofficial feedback thread is a catch-all of sorts, lets make it happen:thumb

Anyway, let's start feedback on DSS #33!!

This thread is:
  • a place to post a list of your top ten favorites. (be heard, and let everyone know what images moved you.)
  • a place to post your "the making of my image"
  • a place to ask someone "how did they do that?"(for us all to see:D )
Feedback is an important part of the photographic process. While those selected as finalists get feedback from the judges and those who vote, others are never quite sure where they stand. So share your thoughts both in this thread and with comments in the actual gallery. Constructive criticism should always be welcome.

It's easy to post thumbnails (with help from our Moderator).

With the image selected in the gallery, copy its URL from your browser, add "-Th.jpg" to the end, delete the jumble of numbers and letters preceding the hashtag (#), change "gallery" to "photos" and that's it.

Example

Change this url

http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-33/9546126_UcMnF#646702914_YfHpk

To this

[IMG ]http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/646702914_YfHpk-Th.jpg[/IMG ]

Happy Feedbacking :scratch

Comments

• BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    "Taken" and "Modified" times different???
    I just have a question and concern about my jpeg file info, which gives different times for "taken" and "modified," even though I made no modification to the file I posted. I don't want to be DQ'd for something like that when I can't explain the disparity.

I'm pretty sure that the "modified" time is when I transferred the files from the CF card to my computer, using Nikon Transfer. But then, why is it that other images have exactly the same time for both "taken" and "modified" when it would be impossible to take the picture and download it at exactly the same time???

I did make an in-camera edit (crop), which resulted in a new file being created but left the original alone. The image I posted is the original, unedited version. Would an in-camera edit somehow be reflected on the original file?

If anyone can explain this I would appreciate it, both for my own understanding, and because I want to be clear that I made no adjustments to the image I posted for this SOOC challenge.

That said, I've really enjoyed the postings and seeing all the great work here. I'm working on my top 10 list and look forward to more discussion.

Cheers,
    Benjer
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    Benjer, I assume you will be DQ'd also...
    Aaron Nelson
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    Benjer
    I found the same thing when downloading to ViewNX using nikon transfer. I think has something to do with the tagging so it will not download the same picture multiple times. I also found that some in camera adjustments added a date digitized. A lot of this was discussed in the original 33 thread. I transferred mine straight from the CF to smugmug.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    Benjer,

In the original 33 thread, Kerry already posted the dq'd enteries for this round, and your's wasn't one of them. So I think you're good to go.

Sweet shot btw. thumb.gif
    Benjer, eitherway if you get the ax'ed or not, I want the hear the story behind your image, imo a very sweet shot indeed!
    Aaron Nelson
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I think if you posted your comments in the gallery before Kerry DQ'd, that's why she didn't take yours out - she mentioned elsewhere that if somebody had alerted her to an anomaly, she gave them the benefit of the doubt; if you posted after that, then props to you, Benjer for drawing attention to the anomaly even if it risks a DQ, thus helping the honour system work the way it's supposed to. thumb.gif. (Awesome image, not at all by the way..... )
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    Benjer, eitherway if you get the ax'ed or not, I want the hear the story behind your image, imo a very sweet shot indeed!

Yeah! Focal length 55mm?! :jawdrop.

Was ya tryin' ta photograph'm or lasso'm? rolleyes1.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    MarkR wrote:
    Yeah! Focal length 55mm?! :jawdrop.

Was ya tryin' ta photograph'm or lasso'm? rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    Ha! We were just lucky that the 50-60 foot humpbacks were curious and comfortable enough to get so close to the boat. The shot was taken from a touring vessel off of Cape Cod, maybe an hour's journey from shore. Besides the tail flapping the whales were also rolling and slapping the water with their fins, blowing, and mugging (sticking their heads out of the water for a better look at us land lubbers). It was awe-inspiring to say the least and a trip I won't forget.

Other than the luck of being in the right place at the right time, I just set my camera to rapid-fire mode and shot everything I saw. Whales are pretty unpredictable (ya think?) and composition was really tricky as the boat was rocking a lot as people ran from one side to the other to get a view of the action. I set my exposure slightly under so the dark water didn't wash out too much, and since there was plenty of light the shutter was able to stop the motion pretty well. That's pretty much it. Funny, at the start of the trip I was cursing myself for not bringing my 70-200mm, but turns out the 24-70 was plenty!

Aaron, cuban and others, very sorry about the DQ's for similar issues as mine. I had the same problem last SOOC challenge so I wanted to be sure to post my question asap just in case. I think next time I'll try posting directly off the CF card like DsrtVW mentioned.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Good Night's Sleep Method
    Since it was asked on the comments:

656596498_XCcn8-S.jpg

This is a single exposure with nothing being done on-camera. WB was set to flash, and the long-exposure noise compensation was set to Auto. The 5Dmk2 was on a tripod with a remote trigger that supported bulb. She started at the pillow, and with a single strobe at 1/8 power with a home-made snoot (black craft foam and one of her hairbands and some scotchtape), I lit the pillow area in two flashes. She then moved to the foot of the bed and I lit there and middle back of the bed. Lastly, the moved the foreground spot and I lit her and the lower left of the bed. I had to light from the other side of the camera for the last two to keep light spill from washing out the original part of the exposure and making her into a ghost-child. Lots of fun learning in the process since I never had a snoot or did light painting before. I'm still working on adding comments and getting my top 10 together, this round's entries include some very compelling and well-done SOOC work (SOOC or otherwise).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    Just to let everyone know I have submitted my top 10 choices to Kerry and have already typed up my comments. I will not be publishing the comments until Kerry reveals the final results, just because I like the suspense mwink.gif.

I wanted to make it clear that when I am judging a round I start off by doing a quick run through of each image and I do not look at the name (Author) or title of each photo until the very last round of culling. I do it this way to avoid inadvertently choosing or not choosing an image based on who took it. I do not want to have my initial impressions be clouded by anything except the image itself. Why do I choose to look at the name and title for the last cull? Because sometimes a title is the breaking point for ones that I am struggling with due to liking them equally. Unfortunately it is impossible to not see who made the image when looking at the title, but please be assured that I work very hard at being impartial.

You may ask how it is possible to see all the images without seeing the photographers name, Easy. just position your screen in the browser to cut off the very bottom just above the name - title, then you flip through the entries using the arrow key on your keyboard.

It was once again a pleasure to be part of the challenges by contributing my opinion. this round was a fun one to guest judge because I find that SOOC pushes each of us to another level of creativity not previously seen in other challenges. thumb.gif

Great job everyone!

Sean
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Alright, I guess I'll be the first...

My top 10 in roughly gallery order:

648554574_6N2Zu-Th.jpg649959929_X5aAj-Th.jpg651015187_fWHSQ-Th.jpg652498364_Hmxvm-Th.jpg652981181_VKNs3-Th.jpg654692257_KN5jQ-Th.jpg655170324_zGsKW-Th.jpg655370975_KXiRP-Th.jpg655697935_xyHo5-Th.jpg655792429_aQshr-Th.jpg

Great job folks!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    Kinkajou--I am honored that you picked my photo to be in your top 10. This is only my 3rd challenge!:ivar But I have already learned so much from the challenges and this forum alike!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Here's my 10 ~ In no particular order...
    Good luck to everyone!

648554574_6N2Zu-Th.jpg651015187_fWHSQ-Th.jpg
    652516605_N6pbC-Th.jpg652981181_VKNs3-Th.jpg653693720_zwoQL-Th.jpg
    655279856_i8LGw-Th.jpg655520263_ikyDE-Th.jpg655697935_xyHo5-Th.jpg655803005_jEdaK-Th.jpg656092773_jahsP-Th.jpg
    Randy
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    Thanks
    rwellsHere's my 10 ~ In no particular order...
    Good luck to everyone!

Wow, thanks so much for adding me to your list. I really apprecaite it.

Peace, gail
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Benjer, just a note to say I saw your comments about the in-camera cropping and such before I scrubbed the gallery, which is why you weren't DQ'd. Thank you for the heads up.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    Benjer wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that the "modified" time is when I transferred the files from the CF card to my computer, using Nikon Transfer. But then, why is it that other images have exactly the same time for both "taken" and "modified" when it would be impossible to take the picture and download it at exactly the same time???
    Benjer wrote:
    I did make an in-camera edit (crop), which resulted in a new file being created but left the original alone. The image I posted is the original, unedited version. Would an in-camera edit somehow be reflected on the original file?

Either your Nikon Transfer program is updating the modified time during the transfer, or when you did the in camera crop, the camera modified the time on the original file.

I would suggest to you to run a test. Take a picture then transfer it via Nikon Transfer without messing with it in camera. Does the modified time differ from the taken time? If not, go back to your camera and do an in-camera crop then transfer the original image again, is the modified time now different?

Personally I just transfer my images from the CF card directly to my laptop via the cardbus slot. Taken and modified times are always the same.

Oh yeah, I like your tail shot!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    for anyone thats interested:

Dont shoot a SOOC DSS round in RAW! (thats what I did simply due to stupidity.)

If you do, not only do you need to deal with converting to jpg, but you have to submit your image as a raw image which SUCKs!

For the sake of SOOC rounds in DSS you should shoot in jpg and bump all the settings you want!

here is an example of RAW vs. Post , a properly planned Jpeg shot could have produced something close to my Post, but in my defense I was a bit distracted by the sure awe of this place called Antelope Canyon.
    FWIW, heres a look into what I like to see after processing.

RAW VS. Post
    649902448_RpTqV-L.jpg651110050_PaTxj-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • sdgphotosdgphoto Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    I took a picture of a flamengo dancer while in Spain but didn't have access to a computer until I arrived home. When I converted the raw to jpeg it showed that the picture was modified two days later. Jet lag and so forth, I didn't see that I should have pm'd so I was dq'd. Oh well, there were many shots that were much better than mine.

I'm not sure still how to change a raw to a jpeg without showing a modification. I didn't even straighten it for the the contest.. Oh well, live and learn.
  • NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    for anyone thats interested:

RAW VS. Post
    649902448_RpTqV-L.jpg651110050_PaTxj-L.jpg

I didn't comment in your c&c post, but just wanted to let you know that this photo is phenomenal. I again told my husband, it makes me sad to live amongst the corn fields. I really need to get to some of these amazing places.

here is an example of RAW vs. Post , a properly planned Jpeg shot could have produced something close to my Post, but in my defense I was a bit distracted by the sure awe of this place called Antelope Canyon.
    FWIW, heres a look into what I like to see after processing.
    Very cool to see this, I am so used to only seeing my versions of RAW vs. JPG vs. processed, that it is fun and educational to see it from another photographers perspective.

Here is an even more extreme example that I actually shot within this challenge period before I was asked to be a guest judge (no I was not considering it for an entry), but I was shooting in both RAW and JPG due to the challenge. I normally don't shoot both. After seeing what .jpg can do I might just consider shooting both all the time anyway???

RAW - Lightroom settings set at Zero (considered no adjustments)
    656884295_zcRci-O.jpg

SOOC Jpg (only reduced in size for this example and watermarked)
    656884323_YTWES-O.jpg

Processed both in Lightroom and Photoshop (Big Difference!)
    656884273_EpGpM-O.jpg

It is almost like revealing how a magician produces doves from his empty hand.

Sean
    sherstone wrote:
    Very cool to see this, I am so used to only seeing my versions of RAW vs. JPG vs. processed, that is is fun and educational to see it from another photographers perspective.

Here is an even more extreme example that I actually shot within this challenge period before I was asked to be a guest judge (no I was not considering it for an entry), but I was shooting in both RAW and JPG due to the challenge. I normally don't shoot both. After seeing what .jpg can do I might just consider shooting both all the time anyway???

RAW - Lightroom settings set at Zero (considered no adjustments)
    656884295_zcRci-O.jpg

656884323_YTWES-O.jpg

656884273_EpGpM-O.jpg

Sean

Wow, what a difference but why process in both programs?

g
    Wow, what a difference but why process in both programs?

g

Because there are things that I do in Photoshop that can not be done in Lightroom or things that lightroom can do but I feel I have more control over in Photoshop. A good example is quasi HDR multiple exposure layering. This can not be done in Lightroom very easily.

Make sense?

EDIT: could I just use Photoshop? Yes! but I like how Lightroom works and I'm used to it.
    sherstone wrote:
    Because there are things that I do in Photoshop that can not be done in Lightroom or things that lightroom can do but I feel I have more control over in Photoshop. A good example is quasi HDR multiple exposure layering. This can not be done in Lightroom very easily.

Make sense?

EDIT: could I just use Photoshop? Yes! but I like how Lightroom works and I'm used to it.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks

g
    sherstone wrote:
    656884295_zcRci-Th.jpg

656884323_YTWES-Th.jpg

656884273_EpGpM-Th.jpg

Sean

exactly!... and wonderful work!bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    sherstone wrote:

Make sense?

Makes sense to me. I use to have a trail version of lightroom2 but was not extremely impressed with it as I could do the same thing with Bridge. That said...I now only use bridge and pspX2 as my main editing programs...and sometimes CS4 when I had time to read and go through tutorials. But since my computer is broke I have only been using pspx2 on a crummy laptop.:(:
    BTW - sorry everyone for hijacking the thread - I know this is supposed to be about feedback of the current round but I am just as anxious as everyone else to see the official results (even though I know at least 10 of the choices already :), so I am kind of sticking to the forums today.

Yes I know I should be doing other things like processing pictures or updating my website or heaven forbid cleaning the bathroom.

Oh that reminds me ... off to clean the bathroom. Maybe when I get back the results will be posted deal.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    sherstone wrote:
    BTW - sorry everyone for hijacking the thread - I know this is supposed to be about feedback of the current round...

Sean, I think I speak for everyone when I say...take over all you want. I wish you'd give more tutorials or classes because your work and techniques are definitely amazing! bowdown.gif

Brian
    edited September 22, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    Sean, I think I speak for everyone when I say...take over all you want. I wish you'd give more tutorials or classes because your work and techniques are definitely amazing! bowdown.gif

Brian

Thanks Brian, - I am hoping to have more time to participate in the threads here a bit more. And who knows maybe find the energy to write a few tutorials. I have done some in the past and they are a lot of work but very satisfying to make.

Hey! pretty wild how 19 shots got picked for the vote! WOW
    I posted my comments for my top 10 choices and also a few comments on the ones that I had a hard time culling off my list. Luckily Wess chose most of the ones I wished I could keep.
    If anyone is wanting their own personal critique and I haven't posted one please feel free to email or PM me. I will try my best to explain what I like and dislike about your shot.

Congrats everyone! It was a fun round to help judge.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Yes, thanks Sean for the detailed and constructive feedback you provided for each of the shots you chose (or not).
    Good luck to all - this was a good challenge and I found out that it is not that easy to capture a good movement shot, let alone SOOC.