My first time at a studio

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited September 24, 2009 in People
Houston Skyline Studio did an open house practice shoot yesterday afternoon, and they had four different models come in. There were 20+ photographers and only 2 sets were used, so it was crowded and you had to be determined to get the strobe trigger(s).

Feedback always appreciated.

655887594_csQwZ-M.jpg

2. (She was also the MUA)
655956850_QeCxf-L.jpg

656449609_rxu38-L.jpg

656449567_oCSJp-L.jpg

5. (My friend said, "Come on, take my picture." So I did. I actually met him when he bought my xti on Amazon lol.)
656086665_DkY3z-L.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    good stuff!clap.gif I like that photographer shot the best lol
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    These are super! How much control did you have over light placement and strength?

thumb.gif
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    These are super! How much control did you have over light placement and strength?

thumb.gif

Thanks! The lights were basically set up as-is, though you could maybe move them a little. But hardly anybody did that. There were just too many photogs to be able to do all that stuff. Of course, if you go to their learning workshop ($200) or their practice session ($70), you'd have way more control and less crowding.

The models were great about taking directions though, so that's one way to pseudo-compensate on having the light in the direction you want (ehehe). The textured bg had one strip softbox overhead pointing down and the white bg had a big softbox on camera right and a small softbox camera left.
    Qarik wrote:
    good stuff!clap.gif I like that photographer shot the best lol

Haha thank you! I think he was *quite* ecstatic at how his picture came out and is pretty proud to call himself a model :D
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    I really like the first!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    I really like the first!

Thanks! Left to my own devices, photographing the face is all I do it seems! I just love faces :D
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Good stuff. Love 2 &5 the best. No. 1 is nice but I don't like the hand and a little more light in the dark eye.
    edited September 22, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Good stuff. Love 2 &5 the best. No. 1 is nice but I don't like the hand and a little more light in the dark eye.
    Thanks, Hackbone! Appreciate the feedback.

I wonder, though, how much better or easier it would have been had I *not* left my polarizer on. I was looking for it the other day and found it on the lens omg. Here's for everyone in the studio knowing I'm a newb rolleyes1.gif

Hopefully the lens hood camouflaged it mwink.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Thanks, Hackbone! Appreciate the feedback.

I wonder, though, how much better or easier it would have been had I *not* left my polarizer on. I was looking for it the other day and found it on the lens omg. Here's for everyone in the studio knowing I'm a newb rolleyes1.gif

Hopefully the lens hood camouflaged it mwink.gif

Don't cha hate it when that happens!:D

Nice set, looks like you did good, considering what you were up against!
    tom wise
    angevin1 wrote:
    looks like you did good, considering what you were up against!

Thank you, I appreciate that!

Now the next challenge is with pp. I find that if I don't process them all at once, the flavors tend to change depending on how I feel that day. I guess today is a moody one.

658746047_erHyg-L.jpg

This was one of the photos I sniped using the 135L, ISO 3200. I probably should have opened up to the full f/2, but live and learn I suppose.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    These are amazing!
    Wow, these are just stellar! They look like they are straight out of a Parisian fashion magazine. Or a Dior advertisement! Great work!
    angevin1 wrote:
    Don't cha hate it when that happens!:D

Nice set, looks like you did good, considering what you were up against!
    kidzmom wrote:
    Wow, these are just stellar!

High praise, indeed. Thank you *very* much iloveyou.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    I like #2 and #3 the best... #3 looks like it is a touch too light though.

I'm definitely with you on the changing flavors when processing... I haven't decided whether that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. :D

I also did a little workshop with strobe lighting last night... we'll see how C&C goes down when I post a few. We were able to move the lights... well, light... around when the instructor wasn't with our little group, but we had no idea what we wanted to do and we spent some time expirementing :)

Anyway, congrats on those shots! Learning to use strobes is really intimidating for me, but it looks like you've got some great stuff from that workshop!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I like #2 and #3 the best... #3 looks like it is a touch too light though.
    Thank you, Kinkajou! For a minute, I thought you meant #4, coz I thought it was light, but I will probably need to calibrate my monitor because #3 doesn't look light to me atm. But i remember dodging her head, so it probably is noticeably lighter and so I *really* need to calibrate my monitor, and thank you for bringing that to my attention.

On a side note, I had processed another shot on a different day, so #3 ended up looking too tame in comparison. I ended up redoing it so it looked similar to the other shot.

4ab9ce11bf1c6.jpg
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Very nicely done!! i was so overwhelmed the first time I was in a studio, I still haven't recovered lol3.gif

That very last one you posted... the woman in the skirt looks like a giant, a bit out of proportion I think.
    ivar wrote:
    That very last one you posted... the woman in the skirt looks like a giant, a bit out of proportion I think.

You know, it's because Virginia (on camera right) is super petite lol. They're both very well proportioned for their body type, but Ellen is a foot taller and just very curvy. Virginia is like 5 ft, 32-25-33 I think? Real Tiny and I agree that the difference is quite jarring (for lack of a better word).