three fingers fire lookout

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited September 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Met some cool people, spent the night in an old fire lookout, and enjoyed an early season snow storm.

656544232_6jojN-XL.jpg

656542296_VvWaH-XL.jpg

656545660_FHhYv-XL.jpg

656548874_s45vx-XL.jpg

656552734_wynub-XL.jpg

656547103_5mCR9-XL.jpg

656684486_FUpTY-XL.jpg

656686380_x7WeN-XL.jpg
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Very cool shots!! What an incredible view. I really enjoyed your pictures.
    I just found out last summer that a lot of the old look outs are available to rent out per night. Is this what you did? I would love to do that!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    Excellent pictures of a truly amazing location! :D
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    Ron, many aren't for rent, but for free. There are only a few left, though. Most were burnt by the forest service cause of liability/cost to maintain issues. They are very sparse. Usually when you stay you leave a donation with whomever is maintaining the lookout. Usually a club of one sort or the other, such as the mountaineers. This one is three fingers lookout and is very popular in the summer. Many see no one during the winter and spring cause they are snowed in (some you can ski too, but 3 fingers for instance just saw its first winter ascent a year or two ago, so they aren't easy). More info, let me know. I'm happy to help. Send me a PM.
    FACEBOOK
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    Nice, Jason. Shame you weren't treated to a nice sunset during your time on top. I remember some fantastic sunsets from my last trip to Goat Flats a few years ago. I assume these photos are of the east slopes and drainage of Three Fingers?
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    Scole, this is up the standard approach, although i have tried the east face couloir several times and been rebuffed. This time I wanted to hike and have a look at the area, enjoy a sunset, etc. Laughing.gif. That didn't happen. I'll be back this winter though. No people and great snowscapes will be awesome. Can't wait.

I was surprised to see how popular goat flats was! Yikes, but a nice place for sunsets that's for sure.
    FACEBOOK
  • urteurte Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    great pictures