2 Of My Better Half

rle5rle5 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited September 22, 2009 in People
C&C is highly appreciated, and even requested! I would like to hear what everyone thinks of my makeshift studio background as well... (Used old editions of a free local Halifax paper)

ray1.jpg

ray2.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Hi Rémi wave.gif

Very creative, using the papers as a background! I think it's a nice background, but it's also a very 'specific' background. It's definitely not suitable for all type of shots, also since it is quite busy.

Both the shots seem a bit underexposed and the white-balance is off a bit. I'm guessing it was pretty dark where you shot them? I like the expression in the first shot better, but I'm not sure about the stool. It looks like a nice shot from a nice time goofing around, but as far as a portrait goes I'm just not sure what the stool is there for/what it adds? maybe it has a specific meaning to you? The second one has a kind of a music/artist feeling to it for me. Is that what you were going for? did you have anything specific in mind with these portraits?
  • rle5rle5 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Rémi wave.gif

Very creative, using the papers as a background! I think it's a nice background, but it's also a very 'specific' background. It's definitely not suitable for all type of shots, also since it is quite busy.

Both the shots seem a bit underexposed and the white-balance is off a bit. I'm guessing it was pretty dark where you shot them? I like the expression in the first shot better, but I'm not sure about the stool. It looks like a nice shot from a nice time goofing around, but as far as a portrait goes I'm just not sure what the stool is there for/what it adds? maybe it has a specific meaning to you? The second one has a kind of a music/artist feeling to it for me. Is that what you were going for? did you have anything specific in mind with these portraits?

It was definitely just a goofing around shoot, with absolutely nothing specific in mind.

Yes, I tried to correct the white balance a little, still learning on that front. As far as darkness, all I had to work with was a 60w bulb in a construction light holder.

Other than a slow shutter speed, (which I used) what would have helped most? A higher ISO? I would welcome your feedback on this as I am still struggling a bit with shooting in low light without the flash. (I find the flash on the Rebel XSi a little invasive in the dark...)

Thanks for the feedback!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Yeah, I think I like the paper as well.

For a low-light shot, I'd get the light source right next to the frame of the image, open the aperture almost all the way up so I could shoot somewhere between f/1.4 and f/2.0, boost the ISO up pretty high, use a tripod (or shelf, or table, or whatever you've got), and use a long exposure.

I've done the single bulb shots myself in the past... challenging, but can be done!

He looks like he's a lot of fun :) Will you have a chance to reshoot?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • rle5rle5 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Yeah, I think I like the paper as well.

For a low-light shot, I'd get the light source right next to the frame of the image, open the aperture almost all the way up so I could shoot somewhere between f/1.4 and f/2.0, boost the ISO up pretty high, use a tripod (or shelf, or table, or whatever you've got), and use a long exposure.

I've done the single bulb shots myself in the past... challenging, but can be done!

He looks like he's a lot of fun :) Will you have a chance to reshoot?

Thanks a million for the tips! I am still getting used to all these settings, and although I know what each one does, finding a balance is still something for me to master entirely.

He is a lot of fun. :-) And we will definitely have a reshoot next time he is over!

Cheers!