Options

Amateur Racing Photography

dirttrackguydirttrackguy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 2, 2009 in Sports
Hey guys, I have recently gotten involved in shooting racing photography, and I was looking for some tips, and feedback. Nothing is to harsh!

Thanks, Curtis

dsc0192w.th.jpg

dsc0267x.th.jpg

Had to do alot of photoshop...
dsc0269.th.jpg

dsc0410g.th.jpg

dsc0413i.th.jpg

dsc0913u.th.jpg

I also have many more galleries I would like you to check out:
http://showtimeaction.smugmug.com/Racing-200/Selinsgrove-410-Open-91909/9696900_u2C8c#655302429_pkLTR
and
www.berleueracingphotography.shutterfly.com

Thanks!

Also- I shoot with a Nikon D60

Comments

• Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    curtis, make 'em bigger (about 800-900 pixels on the longest side). Don't attach them here, just link to them
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2009
    dsc0062we.jpg

dsc0192m.jpg

dsc0269q.jpg

dsc0410l.jpg

dsc0413w.jpg

dsc0913pz.jpg

There ya go... like i said I have tons more at those sites (they are all mine) if you wanted to see more! Thanks guys!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Guardrail gets in the way of seeing much of the car, and the wing completely blocks any view of the driver.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Guardrail gets in the way of seeing much of the car, and the wing completely blocks any view of the driver.

how would you suggest I get around having "too much wing"?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    You need to change where you are shooting. Its your only option. But you will want to get the driver in the shot.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Nice Shots.

Get a pit pass at your next race and get close enough to the gardrail that it is not in the shot. The pit pass at a ameture race track usually is only five bucks more and you can get a better angle on the cars.

Good Luck,
    Charles,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    GriggJaGriggJa Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2009
    Composition
    work on composition. Give the car somewhere to go, tell the story..
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    One Beginner to another

Curtis,

You have some nice shots here. Your on the right "track".

Dude!!! Seriously.... The Syracuse Mile!!!! You DOG!! Get in touch with the Promoter, Tell him your a photographer and want to shoot the races. "MOST" Race Tracks will give you a "pit pass" for submission of photos to local publications.

I Started shooting Dirt Track racing in May of this year. I live in Northern Minnesota and have access to lots of dirt tracks. I contacted several tracks and was able to get "Infield access" to shoot their shows for free. In return I would submit a handful of pics to the area paper our regional race paper http://www.allthedirt.com/photos.html . Several of the other area Photogs are Smugmuggers as well.

Photographing the races from the infield is a much better vantage point. Less guard rail intrusions and more driver visibility in the Pictures. Plus, most drivers sell the sponsorships on the driver side of the car for more money for this reason.

Down Straight shots work well when there is A LOT going on there. Try getting uphill on the outside of a corner so your looking through both sides of the corner (Oval tracks have 4 corners, weird i know).

some examples.
    1) Outside Entry to Turn One... 643822245_8RSne-M-4.jpg

2)Looking down through Turn 2 in to 1.... 644245793_G6iri-M-1.jpg

3)Heading out of Turn 2 ... 693185429_QYVnu-L-1.jpg

4)Mid Turn action in turns 1/2 ... 644207077_fCera-L-1.jpg

granted this facility doesn't have guardrails but it's the Idea behind the shot.

Please feel free to C&C these at will.....

feel free to browse my galleries at http://rmphotos.smugmug.com
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Imo
    GriggJa wrote:
    work on composition. Give the car somewhere to go, tell the story..

Giving the car "somewhere to go" isn't really going to work is it? Racers are a Bird of a different feather. They like to see their car in "Action", Up on the suspension or sliding through the turn side by side with a competitor.

That is what tells the story. IMO
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Great, guys doing my same thing. Check out my stuff at my smugmug www.jsphotography.net

Like allready said, you have to get to the infeild. My track won't alow the outside of turn 1 shot, too dangerous. Crop in, a little in front to drive into.From what I have learned over last summer. First you give them that up on the bars crisp and clear shot, full frame. Then strat going for multiple cars/passing situations. Next start blurring some stuff to show speed. Don't be afraid to zoom in close.

Sorry, I am in a hurry here. I'm at my real job and have gotta go. Maybe we can hook up and email each other.
  • Options
    crc333crc333 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2009
    RacinRandy wrote:
    Giving the car "somewhere to go" isn't really going to work is it? Racers are a Bird of a different feather. They like to see their car in "Action", Up on the suspension or sliding through the turn side by side with a competitor.

That is what tells the story. IMO
    First I don't shot dirt track racing for no other reason than I already travel 13 weekends a season. I would love to get to some local tracks some time.

Back to the subject...
    Composition is everything! please take my comment as constructive criticism. What message are you telling with your images. If all you want is snap shots then take snap shots, if you want something that makes them say WOW! then try composing an image and give the car "somewhere to go".
    I don't know of any true PROs that cover the world of Outlaws or some of the other dirt racing series across the country, but if you do look at their stuff and take notes.

There is no question that having a bunch of cars in a shot is compelling. You should try leading the cars through a corner or down the straight by giving more room in the front of the car vs the back. Maybe try lowering the cars in the frame instead of high, use the rule of thirds. Let the viewer see where the car is going or for that matter what it came from.

You have four corners to shot from plus you have stands to go into and maybe the starter stand if you talk really nice to the track promoter or the officials. Plus there has to be a ton of great action in the pits. See if you can get creative and maybe get up on a high point in the infield on a trailer or motor home. I love good old down home racing there has to be real personalities to take pictures of....tell a story with people pics! get candid people shots from a distance that way they have no idea you took a pic.

just my opinion but your watermark covers to much of the image hard to see your shots. Make it smaller or change the opacity to something closer to 20 to 30%