A Smarties Response.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited September 21, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Everyone's favorite candy, to hear everyone say it. . . . But not unless they happen to see them. Until a roll of those tiny discs is brought into view, nobody even thinks about them. But open a bag and pass around rolls or put them in a bowl and you can watch them disappear amongst happy comments expressing affections toward these confections and memories of enjoying them as a child.

I know I loved them as a child. I saved the yellow ones for last, because they were the best: Mellower in flavor, softer to chew and I just loved the flavor as I allowed them to dissolve in my mouth. . . . Until I bit them. The purple ones usually went first, though, chewed immediately to hurry along the consumption of the yellow ones.

I always looked forward to finding them in my bag after a night of trick-or-treating on All Hallows Eve. I'd dump my bag on the table and pick each of those iconic rolls out of the herd, corralling them aside for later. Not all of them were safe for the time being, though. I'd have a roll or two between the fun-sized chocolate bars and the four or five chewy Dots that came in their own tiny yellow box.

Smarties packaging is subtly creative with, well, not a picture of the candy that's inside the roll, but of the roll you're holding in your hand at that very moment. And if you find the image on the roll too intrusive, just turn it a little bit and you're looking at the very candies you're about to enjoy. When you've finished looking, grip each end between finger and thumb and pull outward. Peel the cellophane back and then push the center. Then watch them as they fall into your hand. But be careful! If you're a even just a little less than careful with your aim, they fall to the table and roll in every direction. The race is on!

Now that I'm grown up, though, well, I still love them. But now they come also come in a much larger roll! A man-sized roll! Perfection built upon perfection in confections! Now that's fun sized . . . grown-up fun sized!

Now the purple ones will yield even more sweetnes and the yellow ones will take even longer to disolve.

SmartiesCandy2012.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Very good photo of a candy that all kids/adults remember thumb.gif I like your choice of background.

Those little buggers made my mouth pucker so much that I passed them off to my brother for the chocolate :D