Wooden Boats

SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I recently spent two days shooting the wooden boat festival in Port Townsend, WA. It was a great outing, and I want to go back. Here are a couple shots from my trip. Whadya think?

Kevin Miller

649809612_Aeruj-M-4.jpg

649789683_SxGa4-M-4.jpg

650366182_hXsyh-M-4.jpg

649781565_JoCJ6-M-4.jpg

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin!

I like the third one the best, probably because of the framing. First and third might improve if you had their faces showing.

I notice the Kavu hat in the first one -- it is a modern update of the "coolie" hat from China.

Thanks for sharing.
  • SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    Thanks for looking, Rainbow. That hat really caught my eye, and I'm glad to find out about its design. Very 'coolie' indeed.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Dgrin! Looks like a fun shoot there. Don't be afraid to post your pics in a larger size so that they can be enjoyed by old farts like me with bad eyes. rolleyes1.gif

Love that last one. It's an amazing ship. I took the liberty of examining it in a huge size on your Smugmug gallery and love the details in that shot. That rigging is just unbelievable.

Regards,
    -joel
    Thanks for the tip, Kdog. Didn't know if I could post huge pics here. That one shot of the schooner has more hits than anything. People seem to like those old rigs. I have a new appreciation for wood boats, but my hunch is they cost time and money to upkeep. Hard to do on a photographer's salary, right?

Thanks for giving a look.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Welcome to dgrin :D

#3 is my fav too thumb.gif I like the coloring you used in this photo.
    Thanks for looking and commenting, Dogdots. I'm honored that you took the time. I like #3 too, but it was just luck. During the festival, there is so much going on, you have to be quick. Things happen so fast, and there were boats going every which way. I wanted to isolate certain boats, so it was quite a challenge. I talked to another photographer there, and he told me the secret was to come a couple days early and shoot the boats as they show up in the harbor. Makes sense. It was my first time at a boat festival, and I'm glad to have what I got.

Thanks for the nice welcome!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Seatime wrote:
    Thanks for looking and commenting, Dogdots. I'm honored that you took the time. I like #3 too, but it was just luck. During the festival, there is so much going on, you have to be quick. Things happen so fast, and there were boats going every which way. I wanted to isolate certain boats, so it was quite a challenge. I talked to another photographer there, and he told me the secret was to come a couple days early and shoot the boats as they show up in the harbor. Makes sense. It was my first time at a boat festival, and I'm glad to have what I got.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Just took a look at your site thumb.gif Wow do I envy you -- living by the ocean next to all that beauty. That is "my heaven" as I lived in Monterey for awhile, but now as they say...I'm landlocked :D

Boats in water can move as fast as kids on land sometimes. You did a good job catching your photos thumb.gif