Black and White Work

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in People
I am still trying to improve my black and white technique. Here are two images I have been working with.

1. I posted this one a while back and was advised it was little "muddy". I went back and did more work and feel that this was an improvement.

657263388_Ggaam-L.jpg

2. This is a portrait of my dad. I have been trying to capture him as much as I can because he has Alzheimer's. This is how he used to look everyday. I feel fortunate to have captured his smile again.

657248864_vNuDQ-L.jpg

Any technical critique would be greatly appreciated. Love em or hate em any information is good information.

Thanks,

Wes
www.clix-photo.com

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    657248864_vNuDQ-S.jpg
    wings.gif I really dig this one! Besides the fact that it must be personally very special to you, it really is an awesome portrait. Great expression, and love the b/w. He seems very relaxed/at ease.

The first one is nice, too, but the (your?) kid is a lot brighter than the woman, and that takes up a bit too much attention for me. Also, it feels a bit 'posed', and less natural as opposed to the shot of your dad.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    These look great! Very nice job.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Ditto on Ivar's comment. The portrait of your dad is great; he has a subtle smile and wisdom in his eyes. I'm very sorry to hear about the Altzheimers.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Two lovely images, and nothing 'muddy' about either of them. clap.gif And keep shooting your Dad as long as you can - you'll be really happy you did.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    I like both of them - really nicely done. The conversions look great to me, nice job! thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    Love both pictures, but that one of your Dad is awesome!! I think it really tugs at my heartstrings because my Dad was a minister. So sad about your Dad's alzheimers.

J.
    Thanks for all the great comments.

The first one is of my wife and son. It was taken one sunday morning before church for the specific reason of trying some RAW conversions.

The portrait of my dad was converted from a color jpeg. I did a small portrait session of him with his clerical robes because he's no longer able to preach and we never really had any pictures of him in his service attire.
    My mother wants me to do some shots around the farm for their Christmas cards. He now walks with a cane. I caught him walking down the long driveway one day and it struck me as a good scene with him and his cane in the distance. Then I wondered if it might be too gloomy for Christmas. Any feelings about that?