where to find tutorial Dew Drop

JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in Holy Macro
can someone point me in the right direction. at one point someone posted a tutorial on how to do those wounderful dewdrops reflections... I cant seem to find it though. thanks in advance!

Comments

• CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Jermbubba wrote:
    can someone point me in the right direction. at one point someone posted a tutorial on how to do those wounderful dewdrops reflections... I cant seem to find it though. thanks in advance!

If there is a tutorial, I'd like to see it also.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    Thanks! I think that was the one!
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    This could be a dumb question, but why do you move the camera forward between shots to do focus stacking rather than just turning the focusing ring?
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    because there isnt a "focus ring" on an mpe-65 , it only changes magnification and therefore all frames would be slightly different magnifications and are harder to align when stacking.
    i have tried with camera on tripod but is easier to move forwards/backwards with camera.
    Brian may have slightly different answer :D
    phil
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    Ah, gotcha. Bryan Carnathan explains it in slightly different terms, but equivalently, in his review of the MP-E 65 on the-digital-picture.com:

"I should probably tell you right up front that the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens is a manual focus lens. This is not a bad thing for a macro-only lens as this is how macrco lenses are frequently used anyway. Turning the focus ring does indeed bring the subject into focus, but this effect zooms in and out on the subject (other lenses do also, but it is very noticeable). You can either set the magnification you desire and move closer/farther away to focus (magnification priority), or you can change the magnification by turning the ring until your subject is in focus."

So, then, once you have part of your subject in focus at the magnification level you want, you really don't want to mess with the focus/magnification ring to do focus stacking; instead, you just move the camera back and forth a little.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    I suspect you could use either method successfully of changing focus as the focus range would normally be pretty narrow. The stacking software re-sizes the images appropriately before stacking anyway. I just find it a lot easier to move the camera and if you are doing this with insects there is nothing more likely to scare them off than putting your hand on the lens barrel.

Brian v.