ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in People
The walk from old to new...

807663212_oYMfS-L.jpg

C&C appreciated.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 22, 2009
    well I cannot give a cc directly on color or things of that nature because my monitor is bad. However I am not seeing the old in this. I wonder if the crop was a little tighter if this would be a stronger image? Maybe taking off the bottom more than the top in order to get the feeling of a large room? Just some thoughts.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    That came out awesomely. I think that the large amount of empty black space around is contributes to the tension of the photo, really bringing out the "light at the end of the tunnel" kind of feeling.

And now, I want cheese. :bread
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    If I stare really hard, I can see some of the columns in the darkness here. I can readily make out the old style to the arch. Perhaps my monitor is a bit darker than yours, but I think just a hint more of the area where they are leaving would help and not hurt the focus toward the exit.

Like I said, it may be my monitor, since I can see the columns if I look really hard for detail in the darkness.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    ivar wrote:
    The walk from old to new...

657604811_V9R7w-XL.jpg

C&C appreciated.

This strikes me as yet another example of how a caption can drag down a photo:
    This is a strong image. But I'm spending much too much mental energy trying to figure out the caption. Yes, I see the architectural detail around the opening, but why is that old? Where is this? I have not a clue. On the other hand, I love the photograph of the people striding out of the dark through the arch toward the glass structures.

Oh, I'd give the image a crop all the way around. Yes, you want them coming out of the dark into the light, but I think you want a little less dark in proportion to the light. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    If I'm not mistaken they're walking out of the Louvre. The courtyard has a very modern glass pyramid in the middle of this 17th century castle.

I do agree if the interior was brighter it would help a lot, but overall it's pretty good.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Thanks for the comments, guys!

This shot was indeed taken at the Louvre in Paris, France. Some of you may know the Louvre and the glass pyramid from the movie 'The Da Vinci Code'. This was shot from the side (Rue de Rivoli) towards the pyramid. You actually see a small pyramid in front of the big one.

This image is a strong image for me. Personally, I don't like to title photos, but posting it here meant I needed a title, and the current title was something that seemed fitting, and wasn't something like "light at the end of the tunnel" lol3.gif
    The title may be stronger to me (and Schmoo, and maybe SKnight) since I know where it was taken.
    I'm open to other suggestions ear.gif

As far as the crop; I've not found a crop that I thought was stronger, personally. Also, because this is 'different'. Especially the tighter crops looked like "just another silhouette shot".
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    SKnight wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken they're walking out of the Louvre. The courtyard has a very modern glass pyramid in the middle of this 17th century castle.

I do agree if the interior was brighter it would help a lot, but overall it's pretty good.
    This is what I was thinking too.

Perhaps a title more from the dark ages to the light of modern art?