Memories of Grand-Daddy

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited September 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
When we had our spring flood things needed to be moved upstairs. There were many things to bring up since we had bought the family home which included boxes and cabinets full of family memento's. In a box I found a coin holder that had belonged to my Grand-Daddy. Inside were a few Canadian coins...a 25-cent bill and his WWI dog tag. So what did I do with it -- take photos :D

658162017_Pi2H8-L.jpg

658161979_qXpdS-L.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Glad you found those family memories thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that anyone made "paper cents".
    Randy
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Thanks for sharing! They are wonderful momentos to cherish. I like the first one; it really tells alot with the weathered purse and the dog tag writings. Wonderful detail.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Glad you found those family memories thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that anyone made "paper cents".

Thank you for taking a look. I've had such a hard time photographing this. Still not happy with it. Needs a different background and something else???? Just haven't figure it out yet.

I didn't know Canada had paper cents either. All the coins that were inside were Canadian too.
    Eia wrote:
    Thanks for sharing! They are wonderful momentos to cherish. I like the first one; it really tells alot with the weathered purse and the dog tag writings. Wonderful detail.

The dog tag really surprised me. The writing was so fancy. At first I wasn't sure it was even my Grand-Daddy's name till I cleaned it some. On the back side is his fingerprint.

Thank you for taking a look and commenting :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Great back story, and nice photos of them!

Out of curiosity, why did you chose the angle you did on the dogtag to partly obscure the last name? I know you know who it is, but just wondering.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Great back story, and nice photos of them!

Out of curiosity, why did you chose the angle you did on the dogtag to partly obscure the last name? I know you know who it is, but just wondering.

Ha.....that is a good question about how the dogtag is set in there. I just set it in so the USN was showing. Didn't even think about the name fully showing. Last name is Haakenson. My Grand-Daddy was a small town Pharmacist that married a preachers daughter. So...they played poker in the basement of the drug store rolleyes1.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ha.....that is a good question about how the dogtag is set in there. I just set it in so the USN was showing. Didn't even think about the name fully showing. Last name is Haakenson. My Grand-Daddy was a small town Pharmacist that married a preachers daughter. So...they played poker in the basement of the drug store rolleyes1.gif

There could be your perfect background, if you have old bottles or know of any of the 'frontier town' sort of places that might let you set that around an old pharmacy setup....

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    adbsgicom wrote:
    There could be your perfect background, if you have old bottles or know of any of the 'frontier town' sort of places that might let you set that around an old pharmacy setup....

-a

I have a basement full of pharmacy stuff rolleyes1.gif

Good idea -- I never thought about putting pharmacy things along with this. Kept thinking of the old postcards he brought home.

Thanks for the good idea thumb.gif
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    this is really neat. would have liked to see more depth of field on the purse though. the blurry forground doesn't do it justice.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    Hi Mary......... That is a neat story...... I take it you are planning another shoot...... Im looking forward to it...... azzaro thumb.gif
    CyberSteak wrote:
    this is really neat. would have liked to see more depth of field on the purse though. the blurry forground doesn't do it justice.

I know -- it just isn't right which is just irritating me, but I'll keep working on it.

This still life stuff is driving me crazy rolleyes1.gif
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Mary......... That is a neat story...... I take it you are planning another shoot...... Im looking forward to it...... azzaro thumb.gif

Yes I am. Hopefully soon I'll be reposting again. I'm starting to think still life photography isn't my "cup of tea".

Thanks for taking a look Azzaro :D
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    I just love it. Especially since I've got my own box of special keepsakes that were my own Poppop's which I have plans to capture, hopefully sooner rather than later. Shots like these always tug on my heartstrings. Love the idea to add some of your Grandaddy's 'after-the-war' life to the box & dog tags too. Can't wait to see more! :D
    edited September 24, 2009
    Jazmyn76 wrote:
    I just love it. Especially since I've got my own box of special keepsakes that were my own Poppop's which I have plans to capture, hopefully sooner rather than later. Shots like these always tug on my heartstrings. Love the idea to add some of your Grandaddy's 'after-the-war' life to the box & dog tags too. Can't wait to see more! :D

Thank you Jazmyn :D

Aren't those boxes of keepsakes just wonderful to go through. Gets one a little teary-eyed sometimes, but always wonderful.

Take some photos from your box and post them. I'd love to see them thumb.gif