Options

PSP CS3 debate

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited October 2, 2009 in Finishing School
I have been using PSP for a little while because it was given to me. Tonight I attended a camera club meeting and I got into a conversation with a man who teaches Photoshop. While I didn't get much time with him, he has convinced me to upgrade to photoshop CS3 if I can find an old copy of it. Luckily I have not purchased any books on teaching PSP. Here's the thing though.

Photoshop being 700.00 it's a bit out of my price range unless I can find a good deal on it someplace.

1. If I picked up some old CS3 instruction books would they give me basic techniques I can still use in PSP till I can upgrade?

2. Does CS3 have a "Learning Center" like PSP has where the most used options can be displayed down the left side with tips and tricks also visable?

I'm totally new to this sort of editing software but it's highly recommended that I upgrade my software.

What are your thoughts?
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited September 23, 2009
    I jumped to CS4 from CS2 and I do believe that the localized/regionalized controls offered in CS4 are worth the price of admission. The latest ACR is also only available on CS4.

Acquiring an older version of Photoshop and then upgrading is often the best and least expensive method, but I'm not sure of a good source for older versions anymore. Used versions may not transfer so a "new" older version and then upgrade to CS4 is probably best.

Another very good method is to go back to school, seriously. If you are a student you can legitimately purchase academic versions at fractional prices.

Paint Shop Pro is very competent image editing software and the user interface is quite a bit different from Photoshop, but there is no better supported image editing software, both here at DGrin or across the Internet, than Photoshop. Photoshop is not magical and pretty much everything that can be accomplished in Photoshop can be accomplished in other software. The availability of a plethora of free support and actions is part of what makes Photoshop so very appealing.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The availability of a plethora of free support and actions is part of what makes Photoshop so very appealing.

AMEN to that! :D

Makes a world of difference.....take that from a stubborn long-time Corel PhotoPaint user.

I learned more in six months with PS then I did in six years with CPP.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Thanks again Ziggy. I've bitten the bullet. I got a couple books from the library on Photoshop and am currently doing a 30 free trial of Photoshop. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have the money to afford the full version, but until then, I'm learning all I can.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    fredjclaus wrote:
    Thanks again Ziggy. I've bitten the bullet. I got a couple books from the library on Photoshop and am currently doing a 30 free trial of Photoshop. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have the money to afford the full version, but until then, I'm learning all I can.

As mentioned, students get a significant discount. The "academic version" is the same as the regular version except for the box or something.

Check around to see if a community college or technical school offers a course. It doesn't have to be a Photoshop course, but learning something for your tuition would be a bonus. An acquaintance of mine took a $40 adult education class in Elements and used his student number to buy CS4.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    hotchiphotchip Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2009
    Another very good method is to go back to school, seriously. If you are a student you can legitimately purchase academic versions at fractional prices.
    TonyCooper wrote:
    As mentioned, students get a significant discount. The "academic version" is the same as the regular version except for the box or something.

Check around to see if a community college or technical school offers a course. It doesn't have to be a Photoshop course, but learning something for your tuition would be a bonus. An acquaintance of mine took a $40 adult education class in Elements and used his student number to buy CS4.

Yep - I do some work with Adobe, and you can pick up the Student Editions of Creative Suite 4 for up to 80% off the price of the full commercial versions. The Student Editions can be used for commercial use, and can be upgraded to the full versions for only the price of the upgrade. It's the best way to get the Creative Suites at a discount.