My first attempt at using an infrared filter

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
In the mail today was the 52mm Hoya R72 infrared filter that I ordered recently from Adorama. Here are my first attempts at using it. The geeky ghost in the second one is me; since it was a ten-second exposure, I thought it would be interesting to just open the shutter manually and then walk into the frame and pose.

I wasn't surprised to find that I couldn't see a thing through the viewfinder, but I actually was surprised that auto-focus worked.

Artistically I don't think there's much to be said for these, but I'm posting them in case anyone experienced in infrared photography might have any comments or suggestions. I pretty much just guessed how to do this and it seems, as far as I can tell, to have worked pretty well.

These were shot on an unmodified Canon 5D Mark II using a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (Mark I, with distance window).

658197149_9WoJt-L.jpg

658197116_pifA3-L.jpg
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• rcofrcof Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Good beginning. Just a reminder, always set your white balance manually to something green, such as grass, before shooting in IR.

Be very careful about shooting with this filter. IR is extremely habit forming and before you know it you will want a modified camera. :D:D:D