35mm or 50mm?

pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited September 27, 2009 in Cameras
I want to get a fast prime, and have it narrowed down to the nikkor 35/1.8 or 50/1.8. It will mostly be used for low-light, indoor photography, chasing my 2-yr old daughter around the house. Maybe some candids outside in the yard, or at the park. I have a D90, so there's a 1.5x crop factor. I just have the kit lens that came with the camera right now, so it doesn't shine in low-light conditions.

Any thoughts on which may be a better choice? Any other lens recommendations? I would like to spend less than $200.

Thanks.

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    The kit lens probably includes 35mm and 50mm, even if it isn't fast enough for low light, so what I suggest is that you set it to 50mm and "chase your 2 year old daughter around the house" for a bit -- not taking pictures if the light is too poor, but just watching through the viewfinder to see if 50mm seems too narrow or just about right. Then do the same with 35mm. Afterward, buy a prime of the focal length that you felt happier using.

My guess would be that 50mm on a 1.5x crop camera would probably be pretty comfortable for following a small child around. It will be narrow enough that you can do fairly close facial shots when you want to, but also wide enough that you can catch the whole child and her toys or a playmate if you're a few feet away.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    I have a fast 50mm. On a crop sensor I think 50mm is a bit tight indoors; I would go for the 35mm, to the point where I'm thinking of getting one. On a crop sensor 35mm is closer to the traditional "normal" 50mm that used to be the "kit lens" that came with film SLRs.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    colourbox wrote:
    I have a fast 50mm. On a crop sensor I think 50mm is a bit tight indoors; I would go for the 35mm, to the point where I'm thinking of getting one. On a crop sensor 35mm is closer to the traditional "normal" 50mm that used to be the "kit lens" that came with film SLRs.

+1, go for the 35 on a CS camera.

Here's the one I'd buy: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Thanks for all the advice.

Craig - I tried what you suggested and am leaning towards the 35mm. A little more experimenting this weekend, and I should have narrowed down.

Thanks again!
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    I have both. 50/1.8 and 35/2

In a cropped sensor, 35mm is normal FL and makes sense. 50mm doesn't work too well as it is neither normal, nor tele. Too tight for most shots. An awkward FL. Quality is excellent for the price but I find since I bough my 35/2 two years ago I have not used the 50mm since. Only reason I keep it is for the future when I get a D700 and it becomes a normal lens again.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Another vote for the 35mm... the 50 is just too long on a crop body for what you want if you ask me.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    another vote for 35mm, heck I even use the 35mm f/2 on my D700 more than me 50mm.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    insanefred wrote:
    another vote for 35mm, heck I even use the 35mm f/2 on my D700 more than me 50mm.

35mm f/2 on a FF....hmmm. :D Might have to try that.
  • rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    I would go with the 35mm. I have a 50mm on my Canon 50D and it is a little long in a typical sized room. You can usually move up to your subject, but a lot of times you can't move back.
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Yes. However, as my nemesis remarked, 35mm is wide, and will produce typical distortion on a FF or crop, more or less depending on the shot. No such worries with the 50mm.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix