Color Calibration software outdated?

crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited October 2, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Finally made the jump from PS CS to CS4....loving all the new features.
It got me thinking if Monitor Calibratrion Software becomes outdated.

I have the Spyder2 and was wondering if its worth it to purchase new software. Is there much advancement in this field that I should consider upgrading.
On a side note, I had to buy a new computer, the previous one crashed.
is it necessary to calibrate a new computer?
jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    crow wrote:
    Finally made the jump from PS CS to CS4....loving all the new features.
    It got me thinking if Monitor Calibratrion Software becomes outdated.

More like the sensors in the older "pucks" are not capable of dealing with the new wide gamut LCD monitors that have come to market in the past couple of years.

I have the Spyder2 and was wondering if its worth it to purchase new software. Is there much advancement in this field that I should consider upgrading.

Colorvision has introduced the Spyder3 system. See above regarding pucks.

Xrite has the i1 D2.

There is also the Huey and Huey PRO, see this forum for a sticky on it (I personally would not endorse it for serious calibration work).

TFTCentral has reviewed these...
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

The i1D2 review is a little dated unfortunately.

On a side note, I had to buy a new computer, the previous one crashed. is it necessary to calibrate a new computer?
    Maybe not but probably yes.

If you want your images uploaded to SmugMug to appear "correct" on other calibrated systems, then yes. There is nothing you can do about the look of your images on uncalibrated systems - some will be OK and others will be brutal. You can only work to a standard and that is what the calibrator helps you achieve.

Furthermore, if you are sending out images to be printed, one of the great features of CS4 is "soft proofing". You must have a calibrated monitor for this feature to be effective.

So tell us about your new monitor and then we'll confirm for you if your existing Spyder2 will be OK for use on it?

Brand? Model No.?

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    The Spyder 2 calibration software was mediocre anyway. You can purchase the superior Color Eyes Display software that will work with your Spyder puck.

To answer your second question: if you care about photographic quality, then yes of course it is worth calibrating. Every six months at least. Especially since you own the device. That's pretty much the only way of ensuring color consistency and accuracy.

M
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Thanks for all the info....

I ended up buying an HP Pavilion dv-2180us.
    This color calibration stuff is so whacky in terms of understanding
    but Of course I know its necessary.
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll