Options

No comments by me allowed in my own galleries???

2»

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Pretty sure it's China blocking facebook which is the problem, since we use facebook connect as one of the options for leaving comments.

I'll ask our Social Sorcerer to comment.

Yes, China is blocking facebook. They also are blocking several popular blogging and video sites. The question is, why is it necessary to make a call to FB when simply clicking the "Add Comment" button in a Smuggie gallery?

It's not a catastrophic issue. Just embarrassing that I can't comment on shots in the challenges galleries and many of my friends, clients and colleagues in China can't comment on my galleries. Sorta silly actually.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Yes, China is blocking facebook. They also are blocking several popular blogging and video sites. The question is, why is it necessary to make a call to FB when simply clicking the "Add Comment" button in a Smuggie gallery?

It's not a catastrophic issue. Just embarrassing that I can't comment on shots in the challenges galleries and many of my friends, clients and colleagues in China can't comment on my galleries. Sorta silly actually.
    Like I said, let's see what our Sorcerer has to say, thanks :)
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    PBolchover wrote:
    Having facebook connect as an "option" implies that facebook is optional. However, these issues imply that the ability to access facebook is necessary for leaving comments.
    Please allow us some time for Scotticus, our Social Sorcerer, to reply, thanks for your patience.
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Like I said, let's see what our Sorcerer has to say, thanks :)

He's been very quiet for the 7 weeks since we identified the issue. You can't blame us for getting impatient.
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Thank you Andy for jumping on thisclap.gif I will be glad to wait and see what the Social Sorcerer has to say about it.thumb.gif

Thanks again Andy!
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    PBolchover wrote:
    He's been very quiet for the 7 weeks since we identified the issue. You can't blame us for getting impatient.
    Hi Paul, nobody's blaming anyone?
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Paul, nobody's blaming anyone?

Sorry - it's a Britishism
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    I ran into this issue today here in the good old US of A.

My co-worker at Palm (just a stone's throw from SmugMug HQ) came over to my cube in a panic this afternoon, complaining that comments weren't working in any of her galleries (she does concert photography on the side).

I brought up her albums, and confirmed the issue in Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Also tried my albums, and several other SmugMug-hosted sites. Clicking on the Comment button resulted in exactly NADA happening.

Only IE 6.0 (!) reveal any useful errors (how ironic) -- a warning box that said this:

Line: 322
    Char: 1
    Error: 'FB' is undefined
    Code: 0
    URL: http://something.smugmug.com/etcetc

I got on IRC and Sorcerer Scott happened to be on-line. He suspected that it was a connection problem with Facebook, however I had been on Facebook moments before I heard about the problem, and as I chatted with Scott, I reloaded my Facebook page and saw new items show up.

SO: Palm doesn't block Facebook.

BUT: Sometimes Facebook's servers -- probably the ones that are used for the Facebook Connect API that SmugMug is using -- do go down.

THEREFORE: It's kind of ridiculous that there's a dependency on being able to reach Facebook's servers before SmugMug will even display comment fields, including ones for commenters who choose not to use Facebook credentials.

ALSO: Please get rid of CAPTCHAs for password-protected galleries and sites? (I'm so disappointed nobody replied to my birthday/anniversary post for that bug that I'm flogging it here.) :-}

UPDATE: Oh, I had to leave, but I left the IRC window up, and Scott later agreed with my assessment of the Facebook situation and says that a fix is in the works. Hooray!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Has there been any progress on this bug?
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    does not seem like it...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    weigweig Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2011
    Hi, I'm back after a few years. This issue seems not un-resolved. Is there any update on this?
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    weig wrote: »
    Hi, I'm back after a few years. This issue seems not un-resolved. Is there any update on this?

Hi Weig, I'm sorry for your trouble - you can indeed comment on own galleries, our heroes will help you, please write our Support Heroes so we can give you personal service, thanks.
  • Options
    scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    I'm looking into this guys. It was fixed awhile back, but seems to have somehow become un-fixed. I'll report back here when I get it resolved. Thanks for your patience.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    The same, or a related, problem appears to be (still?) happening now. I try to crop a thumbnail or replace an image in a gallery and I'm told I don't have permission - as though I'm not logged in, but I am! nod.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    The same, or a related, problem appears to be (still?) happening now. I try to crop a thumbnail or replace an image in a gallery and I'm told I don't have permission - as though I'm not logged in, but I am! nod.gif

different problem, thanks - we're working on it.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    different problem, thanks - we're working on it.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Probably part of the same problem, but I can also no longer set my 'feature' image (in this gallery) and so the feature thumb is now random!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    We just fixed this on the live site, should work now no trouble.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    We just fixed this on the live site, should work now no trouble.
    Not yet Andy, with any of three different browsers (just to ensure I wasn't carrying over a browser cache issue).

For example, if I try to replace an image, I get -

Sorry.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Ross, link to image you're trying to replace?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Ross, link to image you're trying to replace?
    http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/Blog/daily-photo-blog/i-qrn4hr3/0/S/_mg_2794-S.jpg

I was only trying to replace it because I couldn't crop its thumb or get it to 'stick' as the feature!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/Blog/daily-photo-blog/i-qrn4hr3/0/S/_mg_2794-S.jpg

I was only trying to replace it because I couldn't crop its thumb or get it to 'stick' as the feature!

I've asked Doc to look at this.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    I've asked Doc to look at this.
    Thanks! I would have lodged a call but thought this thread might relate to the same thing.