Can I ask for votes here?

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in People
Hey there!
I am so glad I found this site. Andy is AWESOME and helped me get my missing order from EZ Prints! THANKS ANDY!!!!

I have no idea if this is allowed...(sorry for being a newbie)..Anyway, I entered my kids into a "moto photo" or "Ritz" type camera competition here in France where I live. The thing that stinks about this contest is that the particiants vote...There is a 1-10 scale. You obviously vote 10 for your kids' shot because you took it and then they vote 1 (even if it is infact a good shot!). I am not saying my shots are better, but I'd love if anyone would honestly vote for my pics :)

Is this allowed Andy? Here are the links....Take this thread off if it is illegal.

Evan
http://www.photoservice.com/ope/10ansPhotoservice/10ansPhotoservice_detail.cfm?id=KCVNXCFdNFJbXCBIIAo%3D

Krista
http://www.photoservice.com/ope/10ansPhotoservice/10ansPhotoservice_detail.cfm?id=KCEvVCIuNyY8L1ZcIAo%3D

Kaitlyn
http://www.photoservice.com/ope/10ansPhotoservice/10ansPhotoservice_detail.cfm?id=KFtXMEc1XTpKQyksIAo%3D

Erik
http://www.photoservice.com/ope/10ansPhotoservice/10ansPhotoservice_detail.cfm?id=KEE2UVc9NTxTMz5IIAo%3D

The site is in French and you have to first enter a valid email address and then confirm it before you can vote on the scale (you just click the box from 1-10 with 10 being best).

Thanks for any honest votes!! :)

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 23, 2009
    Hi kidzmom and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif We don't have a specific rule to cover these cases, but it is not encouraged. IMO, campaigning for votes destroys the whatever value a photo competition may have. In the past, we have disqualified contestants in our own competitions when we discovered evidence of new people signing up only to vote for their friend. We have also banned people whose first post was a solicitation of this sort. Sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it is.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    Hi there! No problem Richard:D I just found this site a few weeks ago when I had a problem w/ an EZ prints order and Andy from SmugMug helped me out ENORMOUSLY!! Anyway, I was just frustrated with this contest because I felt like it was unfair that people were deliberately voting down pictures that were VERY good. I'm not talking about my pictures, but when I saw some very stellar shots get 3's I was saddened! The contest was more about "my kid" vs. "your kid" and not about the picture. I just thought to get some unbiased votes would be a great :) No big deal if you need to remove the post, I'm cool. If you would like to keep out of the vote and just give me some feedback that would be awesome too :)
    Kelly
    Richard wrote:
    Hi kidzmom and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif We don't have a specific rule to cover these cases, but it is not encouraged. IMO, campaigning for votes destroys the whatever value a photo competition may have. In the past, we have disqualified contestants in our own competitions when we discovered evidence of new people signing up only to vote for their friend. We have also banned people whose first post was a solicitation of this sort. Sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it is.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    kidzmom wrote:
    Hi there! No problem Richard:D I just found this site a few weeks ago when I had a problem w/ an EZ prints order and Andy from SmugMug helped me out ENORMOUSLY!! Anyway, I was just frustrated with this contest because I felt like it was unfair that people were deliberately voting down pictures that were VERY good. I'm not talking about my pictures, but when I saw some very stellar shots get 3's I was saddened! The contest was more about "my kid" vs. "your kid" and not about the picture. I just thought to get some unbiased votes would be a great :) No big deal if you need to remove the post, I'm cool. If you would like to keep out of the vote and just give me some feedback that would be awesome too :)
    Kelly
    Kelly, Unless you are able to debrief each person who voted, it all becomes subjective as to their voting behavior. As soon as you ask for another's vote for you, it becomes biased for certain. Personally, I like to vote for people who ask, because, that makes sense to me. This being if I have no other agenda or involvement.

I looked through many pf the photos and some are really good, some more compelling than others and some, though technically poor, are good photos because of what they convey: an emotion.

Feedback.
    Evan: While a beautiful photo, it's rare to see a Baby immersed in distant thought, in a photo. Also, that right hand being cut off does you no favors. That same photo, with him looking at something close at hand would change the emotion.

Kaitlyn, while cute as a button, the image does not compel. Presenting you with a flower, or having one pressed close to smell, that would change things drastically.

just my opinion.

cava
    tom wise
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I love hearing about what could be better. The thought of the hand not being there did not occur to me AT ALL!!! WOW! I REALLY truly appreciate your comments (SO MUCH!)

How about
    Krista http://www.photoservice.com/ope/10ansPhotoservice/10ansPhotoservice_detail.cfm?id=KCEvVCIuNyY8L1ZcIAo%3D

Erik http://www.photoservice.com/ope/10ansPhotoservice/10ansPhotoservice_detail.cfm?id=KEE2UVc9NTxTMz5IIAo%3D

I appreciate your feedback greatly! I'm looking to improve on my perception of the world, as well as photo skills!!!

Kelly

angevin1 wrote:
    Kelly, Unless you are able to debrief each person who voted, it all becomes subjective as to their voting behavior. As soon as you ask for another's vote for you, it becomes biased for certain. Personally, I like to vote for people who ask, because, that makes sense to me. This being if I have no other agenda or involvement.

I looked through many pf the photos and some are really good, some more compelling than others and some, though technically poor, are good photos because of what they convey: an emotion.

Feedback.
    Evan: While a beautiful photo, it's rare to see a Baby immersed in distant thought, in a photo. Also, that right hand being cut off does you no favors. That same photo, with him looking at something close at hand would change the emotion.

Kaitlyn, while cute as a button, the image does not compel. Presenting you with a flower, or having one pressed close to smell, that would change things drastically.

just my opinion.

cava
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Kelly - why don't you start a thread posting those pictures for c&c (comment and criticism)? You'll probably find more people willing to chime in if the shots are right there in front of them instead of a couple of clicks away :D

wave.gif And elcome to Dgrin!
    Thanks so much Divamum! I loved your elephant b/w btw...just perfectly in step with the man. Very moving!

I had initially posted these to see if anyone wanted to critically vote on them...but I think the voting idea isn't going to happen. I'm equally as happy to hear words, instead of seeing numbers :D . I'll have to downsize the files now. THANKS!
    divamum wrote:
    Kelly - why don't you start a thread posting those pictures for c&c (comment and criticism)? You'll probably find more people willing to chime in if the shots are right there in front of them instead of a couple of clicks away :D

wave.gif And elcome to Dgrin!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Hi Kidzmom, welcome !! Interesting topic, this should be fun. Keep on posting those pictures.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700