The senior firefighter

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited September 27, 2009 in People
Thanks to all who helped me in the thread I posted looking for posing inspiration for this firefighter. Loved this kid, he was more than willing to pose and even brought his own ideas! And best of all I got to experience Mitchell's magical garage lighting! LOVE IT :clap All with the exception of one, these are done with existing lighting. Here are a few of the 97 proofs I gave him. I always love c/c so please feel free, both positive and negative. I have come such a long way since joining this forum and getting feedback. I look back at my pictures from even a year ago and cringe..... Thanks to all the suggestions here I no longer have to do that! Feel free to check out his gallery also here.... http://www.wingsoflovephoto.com/High-School-Seniors/Tom/9726655_6F3kX/1/658171348_P8xpn

658661855_xCkEV-L.jpg

658661198_oacyE-L.jpg

658663104_AXRhi-L.jpg

658662462_yYbFo-L.jpg

658664462_2zg63-L.jpg

658663770_hRjdW-L.jpg

658665116_GNJbw-L.jpg

658666243_Fmmxz-L.jpg

658665875_BAV4f-L.jpg

658665547_YnTun-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Very wonderful work!! thumb.gif
    I like in the first that he didn't (you didn't have him) look overly serious behind the wheel. Good call!
    Nit: I think his skin looks a bit cool in #3, esp. compared to the rest.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    I think they are great.
    For a bit of critique, and it could be my monitor, I think a couple of them are a bit overexposed and a couple are a bit off as far as WB goes.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    I read your other thread before so I'm glad it all worked out with shooting the boys.

Really like your PP work on #1, has a vintage feel to it and the pose works with it nicely.

#3 is really nice as well--a little bright (overexposed)--but still a great shot.

My favorite hands down is #7--it's less posed and more of a great capture (at least that's how it looks) and not to mention he looks incredibly handsome in that shot! Bet it's his favorite or his girlfriend's favorite anyway:).

You did a nice job on your senior shoot--Love that more photographers are shooting senior shots outdoors as opposed to studios where senior pics were taken in my day.
    clap.gif

And here you were worried you would be uncomfortable with the boys because you are used to shooting the girls. Bet the boys are waaaaay easier to deal with.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Sandy, I'm loving these shots. Some of your nicest work with some good lighting and variety.thumb.gif

I love the goofy look and vintage feel of #1.

I shot some portraits of firefighters last year and remarked at how lovely the lighting was. The large bay doors work well. Our station had a lot of frosted glass which worked almost like softboxes.

You used the light nicely on these. I really like #4 and #8. The only minor nit is the crooked tie. I hope he doesn't mind.

#10 is the only one I don't care for. The pose is forced and he looks uncomfortable.

All in all, a great set. Bring on the boys!clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Mitchell wrote:
    Sandy, I'm loving these shots. Some of your nicest work with some good lighting and variety.thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Definitely some of your best - love the variety and overall feel.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    oooooh nice! I can't narrow down a favorite, but I really like 1!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Really nice work! clap.gif I adore #7. Best of the bunch for me. thumb.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    What wonderful photos!! Great job and it all look so all American! Congrats on a awesome session!!bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    #3 is really good, despite it being a bit cool. #7 is amazing! Great set.

Caroline
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    All of them are great, and #7 is WOW! Great job, and I love seeing a teen who is so involved in such a selfless endeavour! I bet he was a blast to work with!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Yay! Thank you for posting these! I was curious to see how it the shoot would go, and it looks like it went great. I'm with a lot of other folks and really like #1 and #7, #3 and #10 look a little less 'comfortable' for me. #1 is really just awesome, though. I saw it and read your little blurb about where you were a year ago, and I secretly wished that I'd someday be able to take a shot like #1 :)

Great series, thanks for sharing!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Very nice! clap.gif He seems to be very relaxed in most shots, especially the smiling one. He doesn't seem as comfortable in #10, which is also my personal least favorite. I love #1, #3 and #7 thumb.gif
  • Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    Sandy:

What a GREAT idea for a Senior Portrait...Being the granddaughter of a fire fighter, I thoroughly enjoyed this series! I really like #1 with its vintage feel (flashbacks to the days of when my grandfather was on the job in the Coconut Grove fire days). And, like many others, I like #7 as well...he has those ruggedly handsome looks that every girl dreams a fire fighter would have. thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing these!
    Caroline
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Thanks so much for all the kind words and c/c! It is much appreciated. I thought this was a dream shoot for the most part and the boy likes them so that's what counts! Thinking of entering #1 in a print competition. What do you think? A pipe dream? Seems that existing light portraiture rarely wins competitions ne_nau.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!