A New one C&C Wanted

B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited September 24, 2009 in People
Shot this the other day. Finally got around to PPing it. Took quiet a bit of PPing to get it how I wanted. I'm really looking for some C&C so I can keep learning. :) And as always, more on my website and my flickr. :)

658917482_UsVx7-XL.jpg

Comments

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Everything but her face is working for me. I love the lines of the skirt, the contrast of the colors that just pop, etc. But the chin down angle is not the most flattering on many ladies. I think I would have preferred her to be looking up into the sky. chin up to elongate her neck and not make her jaw so straight-on and wide. And maybe do something with her hand. Put it on her hip and lean her back a smidge while she gazes into that beautiful blue sky.

I think you have a great idea here, now go out there and perfect it!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    I definitely agree with you. I had to remove a lot of double chin on this as it is. I just loved the sky (the clouds remind me of angel wings) I will try to re shoot it like you said sometime. The hand bothered me when I was editing it. Because of the angle of the shot and the focal length the shot makes the hand look large.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    I like the idea thumb.gif I'm kind of curious to see your reshoot. Please post it as well, if you don't mind. I've never really gotten (and seen only a few) good shots from a person from an extreme low angle, so I'm hoping you can change that for me :D
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    It's a challenging angle, but has real potential. Not a traditional angle for a portrait, but creatively thinking outside the box is great!

What I like is the leading lines of the dress, the vibrancy of blue sky against the yellow and the white cloud haloing her head. Definitely feels like a sunny, happy kind of day. The chin and eyes don't work so well. Also, the foreshortened arm is a bit unbalancing.

How about having her clasp her hands behind her back and look up a bit with a big smile at what a lovely day it is? Or have her hold something in her other hand to counterbalance the line and weight of her near hand: flower, book, lollipop, balloon, ball or something significant to her
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    Thank you all for the kind words. I was skeptical to post this because I saw the flaws in the pose. I was just so happy with the colors I couldn't help myself. I'm going to take all of these suggestions into consideration when I shoot her again outdoors. I've been reading "Digital Portrait Photography" by Steve Sint (Great read btw.) and I have some new ideas I want to try. But tonight (if UPS doesn't suck today) I'm going to be shooting with my new studio strobes and lens with the same subject. So we will see what turns out.

Brock
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    B Rock wrote:
    I was skeptical to post this because I saw the flaws in the pose.
    The whole reason for posting here is so that you can improve. Even if you don't see flaws maybe other people will see them or have ideas that might improve the shot, so I'd like to encourage you, and everyone else to please keep posting!