Time Laps Questions

AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in Technique
Okay, I got the timer and faux battery pack for my canon cameras. I'm wanting to do some time lapse photography of some events comming up.

My big question is what software have people used to make the videos? I'd like the ability to recompile the video using different time intervals.

Other question is what quality do people shoot in? And what size of memory card do you use? The biggest I have is a 16G.

I'm planning on shooting with my 30D with my 30mm f/1.4 Sigma lens. I'm gunna put it in Manual Focus and likely put the camera in Tv at maybe 1/60 or somewhere around there.

I'd really appriciate any suggestions anyone has. Most of my events are indoors so light will be an issue, and absolutely no flash.
Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8

Comments

• rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    I have used Quick Time Pro with pretty good results, it doesn't give you many options though. One thing to think about is the shutter life of your SLR. The 30d is rated at 100,000 clicks, that's not many time lapse videos before your camera is dead. I would recommend using a point and shoot.
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

• EloquentPixelsEloquentPixels Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    Virtual dub for making the videos.
    There are also a few really useful filters for it (i.e. deshaker)

Resolution wise I use whatever gets me above 1080p.
    I usually put my camera in Av, but that depends a bit on the type of scene you're shooting. Indoor events, Tv would probably be the way to go. I'm also using my P&S for this. Your SLR will get you through 10 timelapses, then you'll have to replace the shutter.

If you're looking to just make a movie, a bit of blur is actually a positive thing, so just expose for the light you've got.
  • f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    rsi1986 wrote:
    I have used Quick Time Pro with pretty good results, it doesn't give you many options though. One thing to think about is the shutter life of your SLR. The 30d is rated at 100,000 clicks, that's not many time lapse videos before your camera is dead. I would recommend using a point and shoot.
    Shutter life is something I had not thought about. Good point! thumb.gif
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    I had not thought about that either. Perhaps I'll look into using one of my point and shoots. I have a couple SD430's, which are 5MP wireless cameras so maybe I could try using those. They are controllable over the wifi link apparently.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8