A secret overlook, called Horseshoe Bend

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited September 25, 2009 in Landscapes
I walked like three days and ate rattlesnakes to survive....

C&C please

Horseshoe Twilight

659259787_Dsxr7-XL.jpg
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Ohhh I love this!!clap.gif
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    We all thought this guy was crazy when he decided to sit on the edge of a cliff while the rest of us went back to town for dinner...

Nice image. thumb.gif

But the jury is still out on that crazy thing... deal.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    eek7.gif

Very nice work Aaron. I do not regret the two margaritas, three bowls of salsa, and all the chips I ate waiting for you to catch up to the rest of us. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Very nice Aaron thumb.gif

Personally, this is the first shot I've seen of HB at this hour of day/night.
    Randy
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    Aaron, how did you ever find such a place?
    anwmn1 wrote:
    eek7.gif

Very nice work Aaron. I do not regret the two margaritas, three bowls of salsa, and all the chips I ate waiting for you to catch up to the rest of us. rolleyes1.gif

Those margaritas were ridiculous but they were quite delicious.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Beautiful picture, Aaron. Great light and range. And I'm sure the rattlesnake tasted like chicken!
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    Gorgeous image, Aaron!! thumb.gif

Good thing you had those Bear Grylls-style survival tactics to make it for the 3 day trip to this spot!

I'm going to have to give your technique on this a shot, maybe this weekend... but then again, margaritas are sounding pretty good too! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    Beautiful image, Aaron! Love that starry sky and the glow of the horizon. clap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    Aaron, I have seen many beautiful photos of Horseshoe Bend. IMHO, yours is one of the very best so far!! I have never seen one like this one before and it is amazing!! I LOVE the colors and the detail is just phenomenal.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    I agree -- it's a beautiful capture thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    thanks everyone! I have a few Nits to work around on my next attempt, but I wanted to see if anyone said anything first...

I thought the 24-70 f2.8 would be a solution to the issues from my Toroweap attempt but now I have other issues there is too much light fall off with this lens... so I will look into what to do about this issue....
    Aaron Nelson
    dseidman wrote:
    Aaron, how did you ever find such a place?

Those margaritas were ridiculous but they were quite delicious.

total accident! my GPS signal was altered due to Jupiters gavitational pull on Venus..
    Aaron Nelson
    ront wrote:
    Aaron, I have seen many beautiful photos of Horseshoe Bend. IMHO, yours is one of the very best so far!! I have never seen one like this one before and it is amazing!! I LOVE the colors and the detail is just phenomenal.

Ron
    Thank You! This is good newsthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Sweet shot, Aaron! Good for you for coming up with something original and executing it well. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    I thought the 24-70 f2.8 would be a solution to the issues from my Toroweap attempt but now I have other issues there is too much light fall off with this lens... so I will look into what to do about this issue....

I guess this is the best time to ask ! so If I want to expos for 10sec @ f2.8, and ISO 800, all so the stars have no movement, there is very little noise, and the colors are great. how do I avoid (vignette in the sky) light falloff with the lens? Get a different lens?

btw, lens correction via software will not work with this issue due to noise.

or

does the light falloff add to the feel of the photograph?
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Lovely image, Deuce! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    The vignetting is puzzling now that you mention it. It really didn't stick out until you mentioned it. You didn't have a hood or a filter on the lens, did you? I've noticed that problem on my lenses on the FF body when I'm shooting maximum width and have the hood on. You don't really need the hood at night of course.
    kdog wrote:
    The vignetting is puzzling now that you mention it. It really didn't stick out until you mentioned it. You didn't have a hood or a filter on the lens, did you? I've noticed that problem on my lenses on the FF body when I'm shooting maximum width and have the hood on. You don't really need the hood at night of course.

yes i did have that 24-70 giant hood on!... I will need to try that asap!... kinda living dangerously taking it off though
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Dude, you did it. clap.gif Congratulations.

Now, the most important question: Are YOU happy with it?

Danny
    kinda living dangerously taking it off though

Says the guy taking pictures on the edge of a 4,000' cliff. rolleyes1.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    I do not find that the vignetting diminishes the aesthetics of the image at all, but if you do, than you apparently have even more work to do. I say frame it and save it for our gallery.
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    Not so secret. Just not shot as much as everything else around the Southwest. A friend of mine a great shot of it from a while back. I will shoot this someday.
    I won't post my friend's shot in the thread, but he has a bit different than the standard composition on it.
    http://lightofthewild.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Western-Landscapes/3121221_fFGcd#255812436_Kf5Mg
    Great work BTW. Very nice shot.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    astockwell wrote:
    Not so secret. Just not shot as much as everything else around the Southwest...
    Laughing.gif
    OP was sarcastic. HSB is one of the most shot places in the whole SW...deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Very well done.

If you want to save some money by not spending on a new lens, just tilt the camera up until the stars are in the center of the frame and take another exposure. Try not to move any left or rightdeal.gif Then blend that part of the image over the originalwings.gif It might be more time in the cooker but may save a few grand.
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Very well done.

If you want to save some money by not spending on a new lens, just tilt the camera up until the stars are in the center of the frame and take another exposure. Try not to move any left or rightdeal.gif Then blend that part of the image over the originalwings.gif It might be more time in the cooker but may save a few grand.

great idea, I will do that.:ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • ipduffyipduffy Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    I wanna join in!
    Man let me know next time you guys head out. I LOVE landscape photography and I'm eager to learn more about how it's done. My guess is you have to be near the landscapes. :D Anyhow, next time you guys have an excursion, if you don't mind, I'd love to join you.

Cheers and happy trails!

--Ian
    kdog wrote:
    Says the guy taking pictures on the edge of a 4,000' cliff. rolleyes1.gif

lol3.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    ipduffy wrote:
    Man let me know next time you guys head out. I LOVE landscape photography and I'm eager to learn more about how it's done. My guess is you have to be near the landscapes. :D Anyhow, next time you guys have an excursion, if you don't mind, I'd love to join you.

Cheers and happy trails!

--Ian

Ian, take a look here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=78528747529

welcome anytime! (I need to add some events on there for next year)
    Aaron Nelson
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    Beautiful image Aaron!

-
    Anybody can do it.