Options

CF card for 7D

BGtomBGtom Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited October 15, 2009 in Accessories
Hey all,

Starting to feather my nest for my "pre-ordered" :bow7D...and am trying not to dip into the food budget for next month paying for spendy new CF cards.

I calculate that @ 8fps :ivar i will need a card that can write ~48MB/s (HQ jpegs). Then it occurred to me that it's actually writing to the buffer first before writing to the card. I see from the 7D preview on dpreview.com that it will shoot 126 jpegs continuous before filling the buffer. That seems like a lot...especially since the specs call for 15 RAW before filling the buffer. Those two numbers don't seem to add up.

I'm staring at my 2GB SanDisk Ultra II's that transfer @ 9MB/s and wondering if I don't really need to spend $130 for a SanDisk Exreme that writes @ 60MB/s. I know that I will be twiddling my thumbs once the buffer is full (would that really be more than a minute?!), but I don't anticipate shooting 126 frames continuously for anything. During a football game I usually fire off 5 sec's worth of shutter release per play. What do you 1DMIII guys use?

Thanks!
Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Having just shot a gig with a 5DII using the Sandisk Ultra II cards (and shooting RAW), I can tell you that waiting for the buffer to clear is a pain in the back-side. I lost a couple of shots because I've been in the habit of removing the full card shortly after I finish shooting and ended up corrupting a couple of images - oh well. However, I've not yet had a problem (speed wise) with the 300X Transcend cards (I have 4 4GB cards) and I'm seriously contemplating moving up to these Transcend 16GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model TS16GCF300 in the very near future because the 4GB cards are a bit more than a touch too small.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    With 2 image processors the 7D can process images almost as quickly as they are shot. JPGs are 8 bit, but the RAW files are 14 bit, stored as 16 bit. That's part of the reason for the disparity in buffer storage quantities. The other part is that JPG files are intrinsically lossy in the method of compression. The RAW files are intrinsically lossless, making them much larger.

I have shot sports with the Canon 1D MKII and I did use JPG format since I was mostly interested in maximizing the buffer storage and writeout speed (to the storage card.) As long as you are very careful about exposure and you don't get stuck with lights that flicker too much, JPGs can work pretty well for sports.

I suggest you try a game with your existing cards, but add at least one more card and make it at least a 4 GB UDMA card. Compare your results afterward to guide you in future purchases.

Sandisk are generally very good cards, although we have had 2 members with problems recently, and the later version of the Extreme III CF cards are UDMA, as are all of the Extreme IV CF cards. I do think that UDMA would give you a considerable boost in speed and the Extreme III, 4GB CF are not too bad in price.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    Transcend has some nice new 600x cards out. I shoot with the 300x and the 600x. The 600x is awsome, but the 300x is still the bomb. If you are into the rebate thing, you can get 3 8G Sandisk Extreme IV cards for $300 with a $200 MIR at adorama.com - just be careful, you may have to RMA them when you get them as their is apparently a bad batch out there.

I bought my Transcend cards at Newegg.com - 8G 600x cards were $100, 8G 300x cards were $75 or there abouts.

Oh, I have the 16G transcend cards Scott recomended. Very nice.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    When I got my 5D2 recently, I looked around for UDMA CF cards. The top of the line seems to be the Lexar 300x cards, but they're really expensive. I ended up buying two Kingston Ultimate 266x 16 GB cards for, if I recall correctly, a little more than the price of one Lexar 300x. Performance has been very good; the camera responds quickly, and pictures transfer from the card to my computer at a rate of about one picture per second using my Lexar Professional UDMA USB CF/SDHC reader.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Do the write thang...
    Thanks for the info. Oi! these marketing geniuses! They do loves their "x's." Imagine my shock to find the root speed of UDMA is 153 kilobytes/s! Did they even make anything with that speed?

It sounds like 9MB/s (66x) will keep me sitting there for days. 300x (45MB/s) seems like the way to go. Can't afford 600x. I could buy a new lens for that!

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze
  • Options
    BGtom wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Oi! these marketing geniuses! They do loves their "x's." Imagine my shock to find the root speed of UDMA is 153 kilobytes/s! Did they even make anything with that speed?

It sounds like 9MB/s (66x) will keep me sitting there for days. 300x (45MB/s) seems like the way to go. Can't afford 600x. I could buy a new lens for that!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer rated transfer speed doesn't mean too much because there is no industry standard for testing.

The best way to know true transfer speeds in a combination camera and flash memory card is to test empirically, and the only site that tests card-camera combinations is the site at Rob Galbraith. Until the 7D has been tested, transfer speeds are only guessed at.

Review some of the other Canon cameras tested with memory cards to gain some insight:

50D transfer speeds:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9672

5D MKII transfer speeds:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9784
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2009
    corporations are on
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Unfortunately, the manufacturer rated transfer speed doesn't mean too much because there is no industry standard for testing.
    No industry standards?!?!? Why am I not surprised. Thank you for the links. I has sum learnin' to do. :D
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Don't believe the numbers. If it's anything like my D700 at 8fps, the max burst before it has to transfer from buffer to card and wait a bit is about 10 frames. I shot video of it comparing UDMA to fast CF if you are interested and posted it in the camera forum.

link: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143609
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Just make sure you buy through a site you know is legit. Amazon has retailers selling fake CF cards via their site. If it's too good to be true, you know the rest...
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Even speedier CFs are being introduced for those who really need and can afford them:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10255

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    new CF cards
    Just got my new 32Gb SanDisk Extreme cards with a claimed write speed of 60MB/s. I haven't gotten my 7D yet to try them with (Amazon says should arrive tomorrow...) but i did try them in my xti to see if there was any difference. My 2GB SanDisk Ultra II's would clear the xti buffer of 10 RAW in a very un-scientific 17 to 20 seconds. The Extremes' would clear it in about 13 to 16 seconds. From a test of the ultra II's on Rob Galbraiths site on the 40D, they reported about 8.5MB/s. So the Extreme's help only about 25%, or about 11MB/s, in line with the best cards at the top of the chart, but not worth the money for this camera.

Of course I didn't buy the Extremes for the xti, I got them for the 7D. So here's hoping the UDMA transfer will keep my buffer as clear as my sinuses.

By the way, I noticed files sizes increase with ISO...I also noticed that images with a lot of white/overexposed images are larger than dark/underexposed images. Anyone know why?
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    BGtom wrote:
    ... By the way, I noticed files sizes increase with ISO...I also noticed that images with a lot of white/overexposed images are larger than dark/underexposed images. Anyone know why?

Image compression schemes cannot distinguish between image detail and noise. More random noise is treated the same as more image detail, and it allows less compression.

Likewise dark regions probably lack appreciable detail. Most image data is contained in the highest 3 stops of dynamic range. It should be possible to create images of very high key that also compress to smaller files however.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    I guess a question about these higher capacity cards...16gigs, 32 gigs and so on.

Are you guys/gals not concerned about card crashes? If the card fails, a LOT of the pictures could be gone, no?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    I guess a question about these higher capacity cards...16gigs, 32 gigs and so on.

Are you guys/gals not concerned about card crashes? If the card fails, a LOT of the pictures could be gone, no?

I have a 32G card for time laps work. I typically use an 8G card, but have some 16G Cards. When you shoot RAW+JPG, the extra room comes in handy, especially with a 50d, which is a 16 Megapixel camera.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Just look for UDMA cards, generally it'll be good enough. I use Lexar pro 300x UDMA and Trancends.
    Luxer works great, trencends has a little slower read speeds.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    wildviper wrote:

AS long as you stick who brand names from authorized dealers, I am confidant you'll be ok.

For me bigger cards are always good, less time fumbling/swapping cards in the rain, snow, and other environmental hazards.