Before The Stars Came Out

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Landscapes
and right before we all left Aaron to capture his brilliant shot (that is sincere in case you might be wondering), I captured this one which I have been meaning to share.

650830305_iMetz-XL.jpg

660842836_vg8Qa-XL.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Wow Dan,

I don't know what WA lens you used, but this almost makes me feel like it was shot from a satellite. Kind of a Google-Earth feel to it.

Nice job indeed!!!
    Randy
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    Ah, Horseshoe Bend, I will shoot this someday. Great shot. What lens? Or was it pano?
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    rwells wrote:
    Wow Dan,

I don't know what WA lens you used, but this almost makes me feel like it was shot from a satellite. Kind of a Google-Earth feel to it.

Nice job indeed!!!

I took this with my 10-22 on board a 50D.

Thanks Randy
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    Fabulous!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    that is an awesome landscape! I envy you!clap.gif the entire image just become 3D!!! good job! just some soft CC im a bit bothered with the horizon, the right part the orange/yellow,red saturation is a bit harsh. just a tad down will be perfect! cheers!
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    Dan-
    Awesome view of Horseshoe bendclap.gif Great exposure and composition of the canyon. Only nit as posted above is the sky. Not sure if it's the strong yellows or the dull blues but something takes away from the brilliance of the bulk of the shot.
    E
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Holy Cats! That is cool.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • pjamespjames Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    Unreal! Beautiful...
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
    St. Louis Wedding and Portrait Photographer
    http://www.pat-james.com
    GORIO wrote:
    that is an awesome landscape! I envy you!clap.gif the entire image just become 3D!!! good job! just some soft CC im a bit bothered with the horizon, the right part the orange/yellow,red saturation is a bit harsh. just a tad down will be perfect! cheers!

Thanks Gorio. You are quite correct. This is a multiple exposure Photmatix Pro blend, and that is the best sky I could salvage without using PS.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    Dan, thanks for the mention!

this image, Im not understanding whats going on with the horizon, it looks like masking and blending issues, but your not using masks right?
    maybe try a grad tool and soften the sky & horizon? maybe?, im not sure if that would help or hinder...

the wide angle looks good on your FG & water!
    Aaron Nelson
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Beauty shot, Dan! thumb.gif
    edited September 25, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Fabulous!

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Beautiful picture, Dan. One trick I've picked up that you may want to try on the sky is to take the 0EV exposure, adjust it to match the HDR picture for exposure and color balance, then blend it in as a Photoshop layer.
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful picture, Dan. One trick I've picked up that you may want to try on the sky is to take the 0EV exposure, adjust it to match the HDR picture for exposure and color balance, then blend it in as a Photoshop layer.

Thanks HE, but I am not sure what you mean by "adjust it to match the HDR picture"headscratch.gif The 0EV is already right in the middle as far as exposure is concerned, so what specifically would you do to it prior to tonemapping?

Thanks,

Danny
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    very nice, great view.
    any pano shots Dan?

thanks Phil. Nice to hear from you.

No panos
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks HE, but I am not sure what you mean by "adjust it to match the HDR picture"headscratch.gif The 0EV is already right in the middle as far as exposure is concerned, so what specifically would you do to it prior to tonemapping?

Thanks,

Danny
    Dan,

Many times the HDR result is going to have a different luminance in the area you may wish to mask. The trick involves adjusting the luminance of the 0EV exposure to match the HDR. In your case, adjust the 0EV exposure to get the skies to match in luminance and then mask in the 0EV sky. You may not even have to complete mask the sky in the HDR image. I found that by keeping the flow and/or opacity of the brush low when generating the mask you can brush in the mask and blend until you get the result you want.
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Dan,

Many times the HDR result is going to have a different luminance in the area you may wish to mask. The trick involves adjusting the luminance of the 0EV exposure to match the HDR. In your case, adjust the 0EV exposure to get the skies to match in luminance and then mask in the 0EV sky. You may not even have to complete mask the sky in the HDR image. I found that by keeping the flow and/or opacity of the brush low when generating the mask you can brush in the mask and blend until you get the result you want.

Thanks. Since I do not use PS, I will have to figure out another way of accomplishing this. I suppose I could use my Viveza to adjust the sky in the 0EV exposure. Thanks hawkeyethumb.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    I like it but it seems like there is something weird going on in the sky. I agree with Aaron in that it looks like masking/blending problems.
    I tried to incorporate Hawkeye's suggestions. Another version is at the beginning of this thread.
    edited September 26, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I like it but it seems like there is something weird going on in the sky. I agree with Aaron in that it looks like masking/blending problems.

Let me know what you think of the the re-do Danny.
  • Phil TompsonPhil Tompson Banned Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    WOW! Definitely a beauty. Great work! clap.gif
    edited September 28, 2009
    WOW! Definitely a beauty. Great work! clap.gif

Thanks Phil thumb.gif