Funnel Web Spider

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,074 moderator
edited September 26, 2009 in Holy Macro
This guy was in my house and I decided to capture as opposed to kill. I'm still working on the image but here is a rush:

659956160_CQH7C-XL.jpg
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    I've been taking photos of this spider outside at night. I didn't know it was called a funnel web spider, but that's a good name for it as the web does have a funnel.

I need a macro lens :cry
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,074 moderator
    edited September 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    ... I need a macro lens :cry

My image was taken with a Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and a Sony +3 diopter, giving me extra working distance (330 mm with the host lens at infinity, although I used less than infinity and the lens was positioned just above the jar.) The lens was manually focused using focus confirmation technique.

I used 2 - Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes, set in a master - slave wireless configuration, with the master on 2 - off-camera cords (daisy-chained). Each flash had a simple paper diffuser and the camera was positioned above the subject which was in a glass jar.

The flashes were set to E-TTL and master/slave automation with equal output. The lens set at f16 and shutter at 1/200th.
    ziggy53
    ziggy53 wrote:
    My image was taken with a Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and a Sony +3 diopter, giving me extra working distance (330 mm with the host lens at infinity, although I used less than infinity and the lens was positioned just above the jar.) The lens was manually focused using focus confirmation technique.

I used 2 - Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes, set in a master - slave wireless configuration, with the master on 2 - off-camera cords (daisy-chained). Each flash had a simple paper diffuser and the camera was positioned above the subject which was in a glass jar.

The flashes were set to E-TTL and master/slave automation with equal output. The lens set at f16 and shutter at 1/200th.

I had the 50mm lens and sent it back -- think I should of kept it headscratch.gif

The spider was in a jar -- how did the lighting not reflect off the glass? Did the paper diffuser stop that? I really like how your photo turned out. The bottom of the jar mimics the roundness of the funnel opening.

I took this photo using a flashlight. My set up was a flashlight in my left hand with the camera remote -- right hand was manually focusing my 24-105 while the left hand with the flashlight was taking the photo. Wind was blowing at 20mph. As you can see I need to upgrade my lighting and set up rolleyes1.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Rather like it- almost looks like a fossilised specimen :)
    brian v.
  • HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    I dont think its a funnel web spider though.. i think its a dotted wolf spider. I could be wrong though as I am no expert.

http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/zoology/spiders/gallery.html?RollID=roll01&FrameID=punctulata2
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...
    Dogdots wrote:
    I had the 50mm lens and sent it back -- think I should of kept it headscratch.gif

The spider was in a jar -- how did the lighting not reflect off the glass? Did the paper diffuser stop that? I really like how your photo turned out. The bottom of the jar mimics the roundness of the funnel opening.

I took this photo using a flashlight. My set up was a flashlight in my left hand with the camera remote -- right hand was manually focusing my 24-105 while the left hand with the flashlight was taking the photo. Wind was blowing at 20mph. As you can see I need to upgrade my lighting and set up rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Mary. I suspect that the diffusers helped and the flashes are right up to the outside of the jar.

I used an elliptical select to crop out the spider and then blurred the perimeter of the crop as well as the background. I'm still working of the image but I'll probably let it sit 'till I get back to it.
    ziggy53
    Rather like it- almost looks like a fossilised specimen :)
    brian v.

Thanks Brian. I was going for an "illustration" effect and I think it's pretty close to what I want it to be.
    ziggy53
    Howitzer wrote:
    I dont think its a funnel web spider though.. i think its a dotted wolf spider. I could be wrong though as I am no expert.

http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/zoology/spiders/gallery.html?RollID=roll01&FrameID=punctulata2

Many sources class a Wolf spider as a type of funnel web spider. (I think the Australians do define the Funnel Web spider as unique and they have the nastiest.) I believe you are correct in the identification. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Many sources class a Wolf spider as a type of funnel web spider. (I think the Australians do define the Funnel Web spider as unique and they have the nastiest.) I believe you are correct in the identification. thumb.gif

I am used with House spiders but thats a good shot Ziggy.
    Regards
    Bob
    canon400d wrote:
    I am used with House spiders but thats a good shot Ziggy.
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks Bob. Truth is, I'm afraid of the buggers. (Spiders in general.)
    ziggy53
    edited September 26, 2009
    Here is a more typical treatment of the image and with full background removal and rotated to a different angle:

660676303_YrDiA-XL.jpg
    ziggy53
    That's a creepy little creature :D

I like your last post of the spider, but I like the roundness effect of the jar showing in the first photo.

Afraid of spiders ... I think a lot of men are more so then women. My two son's are afraid of spiders. Me....sometimes I am.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    good one, prefer 1st version actually. a little bit different :D
    phil
    Dogdots wrote:
    That's a creepy little creature :D

I like your last post of the spider, but I like the roundness effect of the jar showing in the first photo.

Afraid of spiders ... I think a lot of men are more so then women. My two son's are afraid of spiders. Me....sometimes I am.

I had a very severe reaction to a spider bite when I was very young, one of my first memories. I was in bed asleep, and I was awakened to something biting me, but I went back to sleep. In the morning my back was full of spider bites and the dead spider was in bed with me. I got pretty sick as a result.

I'm pretty sure that my fear rises from that episode.

It's odd because I have no fear of Daddy Long Legs or small jumpers. Pretty much anything else and, if it surprises me, I have a moment of panic. I can overcome the fear and think through it, but I'm extremely sensitized by even the thought of many spiders.
    ziggy53
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    good one, prefer 1st version actually. a little bit different :D
    phil

Thanks Phil. I'll take different. thumb.gif
    ziggy53