Practice w/ Bouncing the Flash

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited September 27, 2009 in People
C&C Appreciated and Welcome. I had my 70-200 2.8, which was less than ideal, and shot them all at 3200 ISO.

First two: f6.3 1/200sec
Flash bounced off the windows behind me, up high.

660084479_jUaV4-L.jpg

660084453_Tppr2-L.jpg

This is f9 1/200sec
bounced flash up and left...
660084427_fAeQy-L.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 24, 2009
    They look good to me, Andrew. Well lighted, nice and sharp and surprisingly noise-free considering they were shot at ISO3200.

So in what way was your 70-200 F2.8 "less than ideal" for these shots? ear.gif

Regards,
    -joel
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Nice pictures! I like the lighting, the poses and it's great to see that all (well most of) the subjects are looking into the camera and smiling. I'm a bit worried about the face of the young man sporting the great haircut in the front row…

…I hope he had enough candy for everyone! :D

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    Hey Andrew,

I think the bounce lighting looks good. Don't know what look you were going for, but if you would have slowed the shutter speed down some, it would have raised the bg a little. This would help your models not look quite so isolated.
    Randy
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    Lighting looks natural, not harsh. Love the first one in particular. She is very pretty and you captured that beauty and personality very well. All are keepers in my book.

Love the mohawk kid with the big scab on his cheek. Reminds me of me when I was about that age, flattop haircut and but boo boo in the center of my forehead. Just in time for Christmas so all the pictures that year looked like I had a hole in my head. (B & W of course - color was just on the way in)
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Thanks Joel, Wil, Randy & Rhondavid. I'm still working on getting the whole flash equation to be more second nature, but the bg's weren't all that wonderful so I wanted to under expose a bunch, but went a bit too far perhaps. I knocked them down with levels some as well. The noise was knocked out with PP and some sharpening to offset the softness of that process.

The 70-200 was less than ideal because I could only be about 5' away so just getting them in focus was a hassle.

The Mohawk boy has chocolate on his face. He is a piece of work. Believe it or not the really tall one and the one in pink are the same age....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    Great portraits! the dark doesn't bother me that bad, except the tall one's hair blends in. Isn't only the tall one yours? What is her name so I don't have to call her "tall one"? lol

That baby is cute!
    Tall One == Mychaella (Mi-kay-lah). She is kinda amazonish around this family of much shorter kids.

Thanks!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    WONDERFUL shots! Love the crisp colors and you managed to get everyone happy, including baby! Bravo! Only problem in my eyes...the chocolate. It bothers me and was the first thing I noticed in the perfect picture. It made me want to wipe my screen, Laughing.gif! Great work!!!!!
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Tall One == Mychaella (Mi-kay-lah). She is kinda amazonish around this family of much shorter kids.

Thanks!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    adbsgicom wrote:

Thanks!

Are these your kids? Gorgeous family. #2 works best for me. I might have a problem with #1 with the mature look and the "Texas" top (gig'em thumb.gif ). Was this in an enclosed space? What's confused me are the trees in the background and I'm curious what the flash bounced off of.

By the way, my Niece's name is Mikayla. I haven't run into too many of them.
    michswiss wrote:
    Are these your kids? Gorgeous family. #2 works best for me. I might have a problem with #1 with the mature look and the "Texas" top (gig'em thumb.gif ). Was this in an enclosed space? What's confused me are the trees in the background and I'm curious what the flash bounced off of.

By the way, my Niece's name is Mikayla. I haven't run into too many of them.

No, not too many but they are out there... Haven't seen the name on any key chains yet, though... Only the tall one in red is mine, the other 4 are another family [they are much more tired all the time than I am....:D ]

The first two were outdoors. Behind me is a large wall of glass for the restaurant we were at, and behind them is the playground. So I shot the flash up about 45-degrees and behind me (a little off to camera left) to hit off the wall of glass.

The first one was just her bouncing around, the mature look to it is completely incidental. She was giggling more than anything. The one of the family + mine also reflected off mom's face some as she snuck behind me to draw the baby's attention and didn't realize I had the flash pointed backwards eek7.gif She eventually regained sight.

The indoor one had the light bounced up about 45-degrees to the brown wall about 6' to my left.

Main goal of the shots was to get a couple of reasonable keepers and also experiment with setting things up to bounce the flash off some surfaces to soften the light.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Love the bounce lighting and the shading it gave you. A plus!!!

#1 is after my own heart, what a great shot and expression.

#2 gotta love the mohawk and the chocolate smear!!!!!