D700 viewfinder question

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited September 25, 2009 in Cameras
Is it normal for the upper portion of the view finder to be slightly darker than the rest. I noticed it the other day when I was taking photos of some windmills with a clear sky in the back.
It's only the upper portion about the 1/6th most noticeable with the 70-300VR at 300mm but see a little on my 24-70mm 2.8.
It doesn't seem to effect the photos, from what I can see.
yes hood is attached correctly. Yes looking in the center.

Can anyone else test this? I called my local camera store and asked them to try the same combo at the same focal length. They confirmed that theirs does it too.
My guess it has something to do with the design of the mirror box.
*shugs*

And not I am not using any filters.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 25, 2009
    I'm not familiar with the Nikon D700 but if the falloff does not affect the taken image or exposure then it's probably fairly normal.

How much difference are you talking about? Is it just barely perceptible or fairly pronounced?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    If your eye is anywhere except exactly on axis to the eyepiece, then you might see some darkening, especially with a longer focus lens. Does the darkening move around if you move your eye ever so slightly off axis, or just just a teeny bit away from the eyepiece?

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    I don't think I would have ever noticed without your suggestion of it being there. More noticeable if I look up at 300mm versus using peripheral vision.

More noticeable is the overall lessening of light when zoomed in, which is normal and noticeable on most of my zooms.
    tom wise
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    Some lenses will vignette slightly wide open on the FX sensor, so perhaps that is the cause.