first baby shoot

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited September 25, 2009 in People
lol funny title.. this coming weekend will be my first photoshoot with a baby.. she is about 2 months old and I was hoping you all could give me some good ideas on different types poses or post your favorite baby shot!:wink TIA
Courtney
Courtney

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    lol funny title.. this coming weekend will be my first photoshoot with a baby.. she is about 2 months old and I was hoping you all could give me some good ideas on different types poses or post your favorite baby shot!mwink.gif TIA
    Courtney

I use a bean bag to help pose babies. I need to get one with more stuffing though so the babies to sink into it so much. I then cover it in a nice big blanket.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    I've seen a ton of baby shots... but my favorites are babies with little hats... like knit stocking caps or something, and babies just placed on or in things while they're sleeping... on a chair, on the table, in a basket, on the bed... just get creative. S/he should be asleep most of the time so it shouldn't be too hard. There are a lot of simple 'family' shots that you could do also, they tend to be with black shirts on parents or father's shirt off so it's just skin - holding the baby in their hands, on their arm, kisses on the forehead, etc.

There were some great baby shots in this forum a few months ago, I'll try to do some poking around to see whether I can find them again.

Good luck!

Edit: Found something - this is not the one I had in mind, but has a similar feel: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=140730&highlight=baby
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    hmmm...I checked that thread. Personally, for me, didn't like them at all. The baby should be the focus of the attention, not all the props around/on them. In some of those photos you barely notice where the baby is. I have a photoshoot of twin baby boys coming up in a week or so. So I'll be keeping track of this thread as well.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Quite a few of the regulars on the board here have links to their web sites and many baby pictures there.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    CyberSteak wrote:
    hmmm...I checked that thread. Personally, for me, didn't like them at all. The baby should be the focus of the attention, not all the props around/on them. In some of those photos you barely notice where the baby is. I have a photoshoot of twin baby boys coming up in a week or so. So I'll be keeping track of this thread as well.

Yeah, it's not the one I was looking for, but it at least shows a bunch of creative positioning and has technically great photos, not just a baby on a fuzzy blanket. I wish I could find that other thread... it was just great.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    I use a bean bag to help pose babies. I need to get one with more stuffing though so the babies to sink into it so much. I then cover it in a nice big blanket.
    Good idea!!!thumb.gif Thanks!
    Courtney
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    thanks everyone.. I will post the pics after I take them.. next week
    Courtney
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Hopefully Sandy (wingsoflovephotography) will chime in, but I seem to recall her saying that 2-month olds require different posing techniques than newborns, as in that linked thread. When think that a newborn will likely sleep, wake up and maybe yawn, and then go back to sleep, it's a lot easier to frame the shot AND keep them happy.

Two month olds are much more alert and MUCH wigglier! And because they're more alert, they're less likely just to shut up and put up, expressing their own little opinions more, um, vociferously :)

The main thing I've read is to make sure you build in time for feeding, change etc, and make sure you schedule a session for the baby's "happy" time of day - no point trying to take pictures with a cranky, dying-for-a-nap infant!

Good luck with it - and post back thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Angelo posted a link to a great video of Tracy Raver on shooting newborns. Check it out if you haven't already. deal.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Hopefully Sandy (wingsoflovephotography) will chime in, but I seem to recall her saying that 2-month olds require different posing techniques than newborns, as in that linked thread. When think that a newborn will likely sleep, wake up and maybe yawn, and then go back to sleep, it's a lot easier to frame the shot AND keep them happy.

Two month olds are much more alert and MUCH wigglier! And because they're more alert, they're less likely just to shut up and put up, expressing their own little opinions more, um, vociferously :)

The main thing I've read is to make sure you build in time for feeding, change etc, and make sure you schedule a session for the baby's "happy" time of day - no point trying to take pictures with a cranky, dying-for-a-nap infant!

Good luck with it - and post back thumb.gif
    That is pretty much what I figured. I planned the photoshoot for after she has had a nap.. I suppose I will just have to play it by earne_nau.gif
    Thanks for your help!
    Courtney
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    Richard wrote:
    Angelo posted a link to a great video of Tracy Raver on shooting newborns. Check it out if you haven't already. deal.gif

Ok..that's more like it. Those are great pictures though the twins I'll be photographing will be past a month and a half. Still something of an inspiration.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    DEFINATELY plan on playing it by ear...and as a Mom to 4 who's seen her fair share of newborns on up....don't be on a schedule! It might take you 45 minutes and it might take you 2 hours. It COMPLETELY depends on the baby and the mood. 2 month olds don't have "regular" nap times so just be forwarned :) They don't move around much though, but they do tend to cry if over tired. Keep the room warm and him or her fed. If you do any shots without the diaper then keep towels (plenty of them) nearby! :) HAVE FUN! I LOVE taking pictures of babies. I am going to post a few of my little guy for inspiration (fyi I'm just a Mom...not a prof phot :) I loved the ones with my boy snuggled up on my husband's non-shirted chest!